[comp.sys.handhelds] 48sx Printer

fledley@mbir.bcm.tmc.edu (R. Mark Adams) (06/21/91)

I am considering the purchase of the companion printer to the HP48sx, and I am
wondering if anybody in netland has had experience with it.  I have never had
a printer for a calculator (though I always considered purchasing one for my
HP41c...)

My specific questions are:

1) How durable is it?  Can I carry it around as much as I carry the 48?

2) Are the consumables prohibitivley expensive?  ie.  How often do you replace the paper?

3) Where is the best price people have found on it?  The best I have seen so
far is 47th ST Photo for $99.00.

Any other comments would be welcome, too.  Thanks for the help!

------------------------+----------------------------+-------------------------
      ___               | R. Mark Adams              | On cars:  "...if such a
     /  /               | Baylor College of Medicine |thing did exist, it would
    /  /_____  ______   | Department of Cell Biology |certainly be called an
   /   __   / / __  /   |                            |'isomobile' or an
  /  /  /  / / /_/ /    | fledley@mbir.bcm.tmc.edu   |'autokinesin'.  Never mix
 /__/  /__/ /  ___/     |                            |Greek and Latin."
           /  /         |  "Molecular Biologist in   |
          /__/          |         Training..."       |  -Goethe
------------------------+----------------------------+-------------------------

asmith@acorn.co.uk (Andy Smith) (06/25/91)

In article <6117@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> fledley@mbir.bcm.tmc.edu (R. Mark Adams) writes:

>I am considering the purchase of the companion printer to the HP48sx, and I am
>wondering if anybody in netland has had experience with it.  I have never had
>a printer for a calculator (though I always considered purchasing one for my
>HP41c...)

>My specific questions are:

>1) How durable is it?  Can I carry it around as much as I carry the 48?

If you mean the little IR printer that HP do to go with the 28/48/etc, then
these are my first impressions, having had mine about 3 weeks.

Cons..

It is not of the same quality plastics as my 28, or the 48's I've seen. I do
not carry the printer like I carry my 28 for this reason. The battery
compartment lid seems to be about the weakest part, but this is on the
bottom so should not be a problem.

There is no proper roller for the paper. It is friction fed, and the paper
just stands in a curved tray at the back. Even the cheap Casio's with built
in printers have a roller for the paper.

Its noisy. When the head is moving, the printer is noisy, no good for
exams:-) this is made worse by the head moving when you do a paper feed. I
do not see the point in this??? Think of all that electical energy being
converted into noise energy.

I would have expected better from a #100 printer

Pros...

The print quality is very good.

Its great to be able to get a program listing for checking the program,
especially when comparing one you've typed in from a mail server.

I can sit on my sofa and point the 28 at the printer on the desk to get a
print out. NO LEADS to get in the way.

>2) Are the consumables prohibitivley expensive?  ie.  How often do you
replace the paper?

You replace the paper about once every 30 metres:-) The paper is not that
expensive.

Andy