[comp.sys.handhelds] Library nos. in Port 0

Dan_Ciarniello@cc.sfu.ca (06/23/91)

I just noticed something interesting in my port 0 directory.  I just
loaded the latest version on HACKIT posted by Jake Schwartz.  When
I checked port0 to make sure that it was there, I noticed that the
library number was displayed as 1214. (note the decimal point) while
other library numbers did not have decimal point.  A [REVIEW] of the
port's contents 1214.00  778  776  752 .  Sure enough, my display was
set to 2 FIX.  Changing the display to STD eliminated the decimal point
and the trailing zeros.  It would seem that 4-digit library numbers are
treated differently from 3-digit library numbers in the directory listing.
Anybody care to hazard a guess as to why this is so?

Dan Ciarniello
Physics Department
Capilano College
North Vancouver, B. C.

cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu (James H. Cloos) (06/26/91)

In article <3238458@cc.sfu.ca> Dan_Ciarniello@cc.sfu.ca writes:
>I just noticed something interesting in my port 0 directory.  I just
>loaded the latest version on HACKIT posted by Jake Schwartz.  When
>I checked port0 to make sure that it was there, I noticed that the
>library number was displayed as 1214. (note the decimal point) while
>other library numbers did not have decimal point.  A [REVIEW] of the
>port's contents 1214.00  778  776  752 .  Sure enough, my display was
>set to 2 FIX.  Changing the display to STD eliminated the decimal point
>and the trailing zeros.  It would seem that 4-digit library numbers are
>treated differently from 3-digit library numbers in the directory listing.
>Anybody care to hazard a guess as to why this is so?
>
>Dan Ciarniello
>Physics Department
>Capilano College
>North Vancouver, B. C.

This really doesn't surprise me.

Quite some time ago, there was a discussion here on why certain reals in
algebraics would show up in the current display mode (STD, FIX, ENG, or
SCI) while others would always show up in STD mode.  I believe Bill did
enter the discussion and mentioned that the break-point for this was the
number 1000.  (Again, as I recall) he mentioned that this was done to allow
easy viewing of numbers that were most often integers (powers and such)
while still giving the user some control over the display of larger
numbers.  1 thru 3 vs. 4+ digits, it was decided, was the optimal place to
make this change for most usage.

The only thing he didn't mention, whas that the routine used to make the
appropriate string out of the real argument was also used by other
routines, such as the one that creates the PORT? menus.

I don't have my 48 handy to confirm this, but your experience suggests that
all lib numbers >= 1000 will show up in the PORT? menus in the current
display format and those <1000 will show up in STD mode.

Do remember that the menus for LIBRARY and the PORTs are dynamically
constructed every time you enter them, whether by the appropriate MENU
command, or by hitting the key.

(One thing I'm not sure of from your atricle, is whether you just typed in
STD to enter STD mode, or switched to another menu and then back into the
PORT0 menu, thereby alowing the 48 to rebuild the PORT0 menu?  With this
info we could nail down whether it is in the display routines or the PORT?
menu construction routines that the call to the real->string routine I
mentioned above is made.)  (I hope this paragraph is understandable.)

Happy investigating.  ;^)

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.		Phone:  +1 716 673-1250
cloos@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU		Snail:  PersonalZipCode:  14048-0772, USA