[comp.sys.handhelds] Portfolio Transfers

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (06/26/91)

     I just bought a Serial adaptor for my Portfolio with the intention
of storing my files off via my Atari 1040ST onto a floppy disk.  Having
looked at the manuals, it looks like this isn't going to be possible.
At best I might be able to "copy [file] aux:" and get them to the
floppy via capture buffer on the ST side, but that won't help me
retrieve the files to restore my system if it crashes.  What I need
is a tranfer protocol -- preferably bottom line Xmodem (128 byte
blocks and checksum) which would not take up much space on the Portfolio
RAM disk, but really just *anything* reliable.  I know there's a transfer
utility of some kind for the Parallel adaptor, but I don't want to
buy that right now.  Is there any kind of transfer utility on any of
the program ROMs?

     Also, it sounds to me like all the files except for the spreadsheet
are normal ASCII files (no high bits or escape codes or control codes).
Is that correct?  I'm concerned about whether a capture buffer will
actually receive the .DRY and .ADR files in such a way that I might be
able to move them back onto the Portfolio later.
--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
lsuc!jimomura

jims@momenta.com (Jim Straus) (06/26/91)

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) writes:

>     I just bought a Serial adaptor for my Portfolio with the intention
>of storing my files off via my Atari 1040ST onto a floppy disk.  Having
>looked at the manuals, it looks like this isn't going to be possible.
>At best I might be able to "copy [file] aux:" and get them to the
>floppy via capture buffer on the ST side, but that won't help me
>retrieve the files to restore my system if it crashes.  What I need
>is a tranfer protocol -- preferably bottom line Xmodem (128 byte
>blocks and checksum) which would not take up much space on the Portfolio
>RAM disk, but really just *anything* reliable.  I know there's a transfer
>utility of some kind for the Parallel adaptor, but I don't want to
>buy that right now.  Is there any kind of transfer utility on any of
>the program ROMs?

You need a copy of XTerm2.  It is a small (less than 3.5K) terminal package
that includes XModem file transfer capabilities.  It is available on a number
of services (GEnie, Compu$erve, etc) and on the DOS Utilities card from Atari.
Alternatively, I think Atari has a program in the works that allows you to
do file transfer with the ST using the serial port in a manner similar to the
tranfer utility with the parallel port.  However, I'm not sure of their
expected released of it.
    -Jim Straus (No, I don't work at or for Atari)

BJGLEAS@auvm.american.edu (bj gleason) (06/27/91)

Atari sells a ROM card called "DOS Utilites" which has XTERM on it.
XTERM is a public domain terminal program that has the XMODEM file
transfer protocol.

And, you are correct.  The DIARY and ADDRESS files are ASCII.

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (06/28/91)

In article <91177.174820BJGLEAS@auvm.american.edu> BJGLEAS@auvm.american.edu (bj gleason) writes:
>Atari sells a ROM card called "DOS Utilites" which has XTERM on it.
>XTERM is a public domain terminal program that has the XMODEM file
>transfer protocol.

     Many thanks to all who replied!  I now have "XTERM2.COM", but I
couldn't get it to load onto the Portfolio.  So I called around and
found a store which will have the DOS Utilities card next week.  At
least that's when they expect it.  I have backed-up the key files
leaving a couple of inconsequential spreadsheets, and I'm content
to wait a week or two for the store to get the cards back in stock.
It would appear that all is well with the world. :-)
--

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun26.161614.12606@momenta.com> jims@momenta.com (Jim Straus) writes:
>Alternatively, I think Atari has a program in the works that allows you to
>do file transfer with the ST using the serial port in a manner similar to the
>tranfer utility with the parallel port.  However, I'm not sure of their
>expected released of it.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but are you implying that there is a way of
transferring to the ST parallel port?  I have the parallel interface,
but the software only works with a PC.  I would love to be able to use
the parallel interface to transfer files to and from my ST.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

jims@momenta.com (Jim Straus) (06/28/91)

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) writes:

>In article <1991Jun26.161614.12606@momenta.com> jims@momenta.com (Jim Straus) writes:
>>Alternatively, I think Atari has a program in the works that allows you to
>>do file transfer with the ST using the serial port in a manner similar to the
>>tranfer utility with the parallel port.  However, I'm not sure of their
>>expected released of it.

>Maybe I'm misreading this, but are you implying that there is a way of
>transferring to the ST parallel port?  I have the parallel interface,
>but the software only works with a PC.  I would love to be able to use
>the parallel interface to transfer files to and from my ST.

No, I'm sorry if there was a confusion.  The program I am aware of for the ST
uses the serial port.