[comp.lang.lisp.x] Getting Xlisp 2.0

CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET (09/16/89)

The only place I have seen Xlisp 2.0 for the Mac is on wsmr-simtel20.army.mil,
from which I am not able to download files with FTP.  (Please don't send me
mail on this.  A half dozen or more of Penn State's best haven't been able to
figure this out.)

My question is:  Where can I get Xlisp 2.0, preferably including the source
code?

kscott@cca.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) (09/19/89)

In article <89258.193347CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET> CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>The only place I have seen Xlisp 2.0 for the Mac is on wsmr-simtel20.army.mil,
>from which I am not able to download files with FTP.  (Please don't send me
>mail on this.  A half dozen or more of Penn State's best haven't been able to
>figure this out.)
>
>My question is:  Where can I get Xlisp 2.0, preferably including the source
>code?

There are two things that may be stopping you from getting your xlisp
from wsmr:

1) Type 'tenex' or 'l 8' before you ftp the file so the machine knows it
is tranferring a binary file.

2) Make sure you have a file transfer program that will tranfer a macbinary
from a unix (or other) machine.  THis means when the transfer is done, you
will have an actual macintosh file (aka an application or a document), not
a text file that has to be binhexed.  They recommend Red Ryder at wsmr, here
at UCSF I used the macbinary kermit on a machine with Versaterm Pro.
From the UNIX side just type

UNIX> kermit -i -s <file>

Best of luck.  Here is the script I used to get it (If you have a .netrc
you can just do things like

UNIX> ftp wsmr-simtel20.army.mil < script > /dev/null &

and mac-transfer your files when it is all done
__________
tenex
cd PD3:<MACINTOSH.CODE>
get XLISP-2PT0-SRC.SHAR.1
cd PD3:<MACINTOSH.LANG>
get XLISP-2PT0.PIT_HQX.1
get XLISP20-DOC.HQX.1
bye

Now does anyone have the xlisp patches to make franz lisp programs run
(slowly) under xlisp?

kscott@cca.ucsf.edu  self-proclaimed net.pope