[comp.lang.lisp.x] Amiga LISP

jbaker@gmu90x.gmu.edu (jbaker) (12/06/89)

After receiving several comments concerning LISP on the Amiga, it seems
that there are really only two LISPs, AmigaLISP and XLISP.  AmigaLISP
is supposed to be slow and buggy; XLISP has produced good results (even
on rather large programs - i.e. several thousand lines).  XLISP programs
have also been easily ported from the Amiga to Common LISP with only
minor modifications.  I am now using XLISP 2.0 (the newest I can find)
and have good results so far, expect that I am having trouble
finding a good editor for LISP.  Someone recommended stvi, which matches
parentheses and is like VI, which I would rather steer away from on
the Amiga.

John Baker
GMU, Fairfax, Virginia

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Roommate of Lord Greystoke) (12/08/89)

jbaker@gmu90x.gmu.edu (jbaker) writes:

>After receiving several comments concerning LISP on the Amiga, it seems
>that there are really only two LISPs, AmigaLISP and XLISP.  AmigaLISP
>is supposed to be slow and buggy; XLISP has produced good results (even
>on rather large programs - i.e. several thousand lines).  XLISP programs
>have also been easily ported from the Amiga to Common LISP with only
>minor modifications.  I am now using XLISP 2.0 (the newest I can find) ...

I don't know about version 2.0 (which I have), but I used XLisp 1.7
for an expert system project.  I had several problems with it, most
notably problems with object methods not being run properly.  I did
manage to finish my project with it, and it seemed to run at a fair
clip.

> ... and have good results so far, expect that I am having trouble
>finding a good editor for LISP.  Someone recommended stvi, which matches
>parentheses and is like VI, which I would rather steer away from on
>the Amiga.

If you like emacs, you may want to try the micro-gnu-emacs editor (I
have version mg2b, I do believe).  It has a hack for matching up
parentheses (I wouldn't live without it, myself).  It is close enough
to regular emacs to be comfortable, and the source code is available
if you want to hack at it.  Plus, you can set up the ALT key as a true
META key (oh joy!) and can do a jillion things with the mouse and its
buttons.  Let me know if you want the source code and executables; I
can email them to you if you give me a path.  It is also available on
the Fred Fish disks, I believe.

--
Christopher Lishka                 ...!{rutgers|ucbvax|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene                   lishka%uwslh.uucp@cs.wisc.edu

"...  This week, Shane and Rebecca meet some squirrelly country boys.  Steve
and Kayla grow further apart, while Cal and Kim come closer to finding Arthur.
Justin and Adrienne declare war."  -- from TV Guide's "Soap Opera Guide"