[comp.lang.lisp.x] Emacs

goren@bimacs.BITNET (goren yoram) (03/21/90)

Hi!
I know this is not the best groop to ask this, but I heard GnuEmacs is written
in Xlisp, so maybe you might help me...

I use GnuEmacs and I like it a lot. It is realy great. The only problem I have
with it is Hebrew (for those of you that don't know what it is, it is the
language spoken in Israel, it use different letters than English, and is
written right-to-left).

I want GnuEmacs to work with Hebrew and have the following problems:
1. The Hebrew characters are stored at the end of the 8-bit ASCII. The GE
   treats this characters as non-printable, and ptints them as a \XYZ, although
   there are such characters in the font.
   How can I make it show the characters?
2. How can I enter Hebrew characters (other than ^Q ...) - I mean something
   like Meta-.. ^.. that from now on will add eth eighth bit.
3. How can I enter characters right-to-left (read a character, then do twice
   ^b and then read the next character, etc.)

Any solution to some (or all) of the problems - which files to touch, routines
to use, or write and add it somewhere, etc. will be most wellcome.
Please mail them to me (besides posting them to the group if you think it
should be done), as we have some problems with the bitnet here.

Thanks,
        Goren.

BITNET         goren@bimacs
Arpanet        goren%bimacs.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
UUCP           ...!psuvax1!bimacs.bitnet!goren           or:
               ...!uunet!goren@bimacs.bitnet
| Always look on the bright side of life....                          |

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (03/23/90)

In article <1356@bimacs.BITNET> goren@bimacs.BITNET (goren yoram) writes:
>I know this is not the best groop to ask this, but I heard GnuEmacs is written
>in Xlisp, so maybe you might help me...

Gnuemacs is not written in XLISP. It has it's own mini-lisp interpreter
that predates XLISP.

>I use GnuEmacs and I like it a lot. It is realy great. The only problem I have
>with it is Hebrew (for those of you that don't know what it is, it is the
>language spoken in Israel, it use different letters than English, and is
>written right-to-left).

A mitzvah! There's a Japanese version of gnuemacs that handles 16 bit
characters. Perhaps you can use this to display hewbrew characters.  As far
as the right-to-left versus left-to-right issues, I don't know. It's
undoubtedly hard-coded in emacs.

As far as how to get this japanese gnuemacs, I haven't the slightest idea.

For more info, you should ask questions about emacs on the newsgroups
comp.emacs or gnu.emacs

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		  Human-Computer Interaction Department
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories