[comp.lang.lisp.x] XLISP name change?

dbetz@pwmag.UUCP (David Betz) (04/29/91)

Someone recently suggested that I consider changing the name of
XLISP (and I assume XScheme).  I'm not really interested in doing
that.  As far as I know, XLISP existed before the X windows system
did.  At least, it existed before I was aware of X.  There are lots
of references to XLISP around and I think it would be confusing to
change the name.

dhw@iti.org (David H. West) (05/01/91)

In article <1303@zinn.MV.COM> dbetz@pwmag.UUCP (David Betz) writes:
>Someone recently suggested that I consider changing the name of
>XLISP

What he said was "I like XLISP, so I've been reading this group for
about a month.  How do the rest of you feel about a new name?" [goes
on to explain that he's sick of filtering out questions about Lisp
running under X windows.]

I interpret this to mean he wants the _group_ renamed.

dsimmons@CS.Cornell.EDU (Daniel G. Simmons) (05/01/91)

dbetz@pwmag.UUCP (David Betz) writes:

>Someone recently suggested that I consider changing the name of
>XLISP (and I assume XScheme).  I'm not really interested in doing
>that.  As far as I know, XLISP existed before the X windows system
>did.  At least, it existed before I was aware of X.  There are lots
>of references to XLISP around and I think it would be confusing to
>change the name.

I could be wrong, but I thought the suggestion was to change the name
of the news group--not the programs.  This seems like a fairly good idea
to me for the reasons that were originally stated, but I don't know
how difficult such a procedure would be...

--
Daniel G. Simmons  			dsimmons@cs.cornell.edu
Grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (05/01/91)

In <1303@zinn.MV.COM>, David Betz writes:
> Someone recently suggested that I consider changing the name of
> XLISP (and I assume XScheme).  I'm not really interested in doing
> that.  As far as I know, XLISP existed before the X windows system
> did.  At least, it existed before I was aware of X.  There are lots
> of references to XLISP around and I think it would be confusing to
> change the name.

Ut absit! I merely suggested changing the name of this news group, not
of XLISP itself, which I was using before I had ever heard of X. As
a matter of fact, perhaps you should claim prior copyright on the name
X, and require royalties from all X-Windows users :-)

David
/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /