[rec.arts.poems] MacArthur's Eyes

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (02/13/91)

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) wrote:
> proberts@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Paul Roberts) writes:
>> Trying to track down a quotation/poem, reportedly by "Lao Tse, 3rd c. BC"
>> (but Lao Tse was 6th BC), it goes something like:
>> "He who delights in the killing of men [will never come to any good]"
> I suspect that this quote applies quite well to many of the folks running
> this war... you have to wonder when general whats-his-name has the entire
> press room laughing while he is showing the footage of bombs hitting their
> targets.

Can't help with that specific quote, but this is along the same lines.  It
was written by the New Zealand poet R.A.K. Mason in 1950; it was the first
poem he had written for several years and the last one he was ever to write.

SONNET TO MACARTHUR'S EYES
**************************

General MacArthur looked down on the bodies of four young Korean
soldiers.  "That's a good sight for my old eyes", he said.
                                               NEWSPAPER REPORT

    I have known old eyes that has seen many more
        aspects of warfare than this man has seen -
        eyes that had looked on Gallipoli or the keen
        edge of battle with the Boer or in even older war
        had known Balaclava and the Mutiny's evil score:
        such eyes as I've known them old have always been
        eager to see spring flowers and the youth who mean
        mankind's spring after war's winter.  Never before

    Have I known of anyone whose old eyes rejoice
        to see young men lying dead in their own land,
        never have I known one who of his own choice
        follows up the machines of death to take his stand
        over the slain and in a quavering voice
        declaim his joy at youth dead beneath his hand

[ Followups to soc.culture.australian ]

--
--  Jack Campin   Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland   041 339 8855 x6044 work  041 556 1878 home

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (02/13/91)

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) wrote:
> proberts@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Paul Roberts) writes:
>> Trying to track down a quotation/poem, reportedly by "Lao Tse, 3rd c. BC"
>> (but Lao Tse was 6th BC), it goes something like:
>> "He who delights in the killing of men [will never come to any good]"
> I suspect that this quote applies quite well to many of the folks running
> this war... you have to wonder when general whats-his-name has the entire
> press room laughing while he is showing the footage of bombs hitting their
> targets.

Can't help with that specific quote, but this is along the same lines.  It
was written by the New Zealand poet R.A.K. Mason in 1950; it was the first
poem he had written for several years and the last one he was ever to write.

SONNET TO MACARTHUR'S EYES

General MacArthur looked down on the bodies of four young Korean
soldiers.  "That's a good sight for my old eyes", he said.
                                               NEWSPAPER REPORT

    I have known old eyes that had seen many more