[rec.arts.poems] listen

sharon@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Sharon Hopkins) (03/04/91)

Don't expect this to *do* anything:  I had a hard enough time just getting
it to parse in both perl and English!

#!/usr/bin/perl

APPEAL:

listen (please, please);

    open yourself, wide,
	join (you, me),
    connect (us,together),

tell me.

do something if distressed;

	@dawn, dance;
	@evening, sing;
	read (books,poems,stories) until peaceful;
	study if able;

	write me if-you-please;

sort your feelings, reset goals, seek (friends, family, anyone);

	    do not die (like this) if sin abounds;

keys (hidden), open locks, doors, tell secrets;
    do not, I-beg-you, close them, yet.

				accept (yourself, changes),
				bind (grief, despair);

    require truth, goodness if-you-will, each moment;

select (always), length-of-days

# Sharon Hopkins, Feb. 21, 1991

kshetline@bbn.com (Kerry Shetline) (03/12/91)

In article <11666@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> sharon@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV
(Sharon Hopkins) writes:
> APPEAL:
>
> listen (please, please);
>
>     open yourself, wide,
>         join (you, me),
>     connect (us,together),

Wonderful poem! I'm not familiar with perl, but I am a programmer (I do
most
of my work in C). I found the effect produced by fitting your words and
thoughts to the syntax requirements of this language stunning.

-Kerry