[talk.politics.mideast] From Stones to Visions: Peace in the Middle East?

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (03/21/88)

From: alu@erc3ba.UUCP (Alan Lustiger)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.jewish
Subject: Dvar Torah: Vayikra: Rabbi Riskin
Date: 15 Mar 88 15:36:59 GMT

SHABBAT SHALOM: Vayikra -- From Stones to Visions: Peace  in  the
Middle East?

                              by Shlomo Riskin

     EFRAT,  Israel  --  The  rocks  and  the  violence  and  the
accusations  continue  to  dominate the headlines here in Israel.
Yesterday a newspaper mentioned that in  addition  to  the  usual
assortment  of  rocks,  Molotov cocktails and metal objects being
hurled at Israeli soldiers and vehicles, something new has joined
the  ranks  of  the homemade weapons: potatoes with nails inside.
Ingenious, and very deadly.

     The headline-hungry media, the nations of the world, and now
even  Amnesty  International all want nothing better than to cast
this nation, my country, into the role of sinners --  we  should,
like  the  Jews in the opening pages of the Book of Leviticus who
are commanded to bring sacrifices and confess  their  sins,  also
bring  sacrifices  in  the  form  of  sacrificing  all  of Judea,
Samaria, Gaza, and then confess our sins.

     But what should we confess to? That we're afraid of violence
--  theirs  and ours? We are! That we have not always treated the
Arabs with the dignity they deserve? The fact is  that  we  don't
always  treat  our own fellow Jews with dignity either. Just read
the Letters to the Editor column in any of  the  Israeli  papers.
Should  we  confess  that we are the government in power? We are!
But go to any hospital in Jerusalem or Petach Tikva or Kfar  Saba
and  see  how  many  Arab  patients  are under the care of Jewish
doctors? Power is also the power to heal.

    Have we sinned because my country occupies their  cities  and
towns?  The  truth  is  that  'occupation' is just another way of
saying that  for  the  last  twenty  years  no  Palestinian  with
authority  to  negotiate  a  peace  with  us  would recognize our
existence. Their charter vows our destruction. Today  they  speak
about  Judea  and Samaria, but it is no secret that many dream of
Acre and Nazareth and Lod, and perhaps that little  suburb  north
of  Jaffa.  Why  not?  Isn't 1948 the year they want to eradicate
completely from their history?

     Have we sinned because  we  punish,  and  sometimes  deport,
those  who  act  violently  towards us, making them pay for their
criminal acts, which some might call revolutionary, but which  to
us is cold-blooded terror.

     Have we sinned by living in Judea  and  Samaria?   How  many
Bethlehemites  or  Hebronites  were  forced to leave? The land on
which Efrat sits were uninhabited hills before we arrived.  Below
are  Arab vineyards, but has a child from our town every picked a
grape without permission? Do we not have historical  links  here?
Are  not  our  forefathers  buried   in  Hebron? Why do the Arabs
forget, or choose to ignore, where the name Ibrahim  comes  from?
The  35  Jews  who  were  massacred in 1948 on their way to bring
supplies to the kibbutzim in the Gush  Etzion  region  have  made
this  range  of hills very much part of our history, contemporary
as well as ancient.

     Have we sinned by coming to Israel altogether?  One  of  the
most  common rhetorical devices used by Arabs is to say they will
grant citizenship only to those Jewish families  who  lived  here
before 1948; the others can return to their land of origin.

     Has no one ever told them that more than  half  of  Israel's
population  come  from  Arab  countries, and a good number of the
rest walked away from Hitler's gas chambers.   Are  Damascus  and
Bagdad  and  Tripoli  ready  to  welcome back their former Jewish
citizens? And should the rest of the country  buy  plane  tickets
back to Hungary and Russia and Poland?

      Who's kidding whom? Probably more than 95% of the  Jews  in
Israel  have nowhere else to go. In the wake of WW2, which nation
in the world opened its borders to Jews,  teaching  us  the  most
important  lesson of the century -- without a land of our own, we
remain beggars at the mercy of strangers.

     I too have a vision of peace but first let me share a story.

     When I was a rabbi in New York, a period of bitter of racial
disturbances  erupted  all  over  America;  and in New York City,
where many of the whites are Jews, the feuding took on a distinct
Black vs. Jewish character. For decades, the relationship between
the  two  minorities,  had  been  constructive.  But   a   change
threatened as accusations flared up.

     To help clear the air, the police  captain  from  the  local
precint came to speak one Friday night during the Oneg Shabbat at
our synagogue. His job, we soon realized, was to  calm  us  down,
and  he made the point that when a Black man says, I'll kill you,
he doesn't mean it. It's just a means of expression.

     Moshe Chaim Teffenbrunn, a sexton in the synagogue  who  now
lives in Efrat, a man who lost his first family to Hitler, got up
and asked the speaker how dare he tell us to ignore the  threats.
When the Nazis came to power, there were many who tried to defuse
the Nazis' cry calling for the death of Jews. It's just a way  of
talking. They didn't mean it! "Well, Captain  I ask you, did they
mean or did they not mean it? If a man says he's  going  to  kill
you, take him very seriously."

     My vision of peace between Palestinians and Jews  is  linked
to  the  messianic  one  of Isaiah in which all nations "...shall
beat their swords  into  plowshares..."      It's  a  complicated
dream.  I  don't even know if all the details are even practical,
but it's based on the idea of both peoples sharing the  hills  of
Judea and Samaria, and creating a 'national cooperative'.

     Why don't we just walk away for good?  Because  to  do  that
would  be like listening to the police captain! As a Jew I cannot
blind myself to history and simply pretend that twenty  years  of
threats  of  extinction and acts of atrocities against innocents,
from school children to worshippers in a Turkish  synagogue,  are
to  be ignored and forgotten. Closing my eyes will not make it go
away.

     Here is my dream. We, the Jews and the Palestinians of Judea
and  Samaria, shall become a new nation, different from any other
nation in the world. We will share these hills together, like our
ancestors the Ishmaelites and the Judeans or Benjamites. Wherever
the Arabs live, their villages and cities and  hills,  will  fall
under  their  rule, their country, their language, their schools,
their police; and where we live will be our land.

      If a Palestinian will want to live in an all-Moslem  state,
he  has  22  choices. If a Jew will want to live in an all-Jewish
state, he has only one.

     Can one land share two masters? If we, Arab and  Jew,  learn
how to live together, not merging our identities into one nation,
but leaving it distinct and separate, two nations  on  one  land,
and  yet  manage  to  live in peace, who knows where this venture
will lead? If we succeed, we may even become a model for the  end
of wars for all time for all people.

Shabbat Shalom

Copyright Ohr Torah 1988.
This essay is distributed by Kesher --the Jewish Network. For information
regarding its use, contact the Kesher BBS at 312-940-1686.

For more information, call (212)496-1618.

--
               		Alan Lustiger
    |_ | |             	AT&T Engineering Research Center

(copied fom s.c.j. by David Sherman)
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave