[talk.politics.mideast] Arabs and Jews incapable of ethical universalism ?

areski@deepthot.UUCP (areski) (04/03/88)

	I received the following private message from gazit@ganelon :

>	In article <1136$deepthot.UUCP> you write:
>
>>                                                       For all practical
>>purposes, Israel is now a nuclear power, and the Israelis will nuke their
>>neighbours if they are REALLY threatened.
>

>US will nuke nations on the other side of the globe if it is REALLY threatened.
>
>That's the way the world is.  Don't expect Israel to be better than other
>nations, fair treatment will be enough.
>
>Hillel               gazit%ganelon.usc.edu@oberon.usc.edu

	I am afraid gazit@ganelon is not getting the point.
This is not ``talk.goodness.mideast''. The fact that Israel IS a
nuclear power means that its 1948 borders are SECURE,
and the Zionists have no right to use the ``secure borders issue''
--i.e. can't give land back, because this would make Israel insecure--
to camouflage their greed for Palestinian land and
their hatred against Palestinian people,
whom they have been happily bombing, shooting and deporting
for the last 40 years.

	Due to its nuclear armament, Israel enjoys a level of security
NO OTHER COUNTRY in the Middle East enjoys.
The successful expansionist policies of the State of Israel
are another proof of its military might.
It also means that the military threat posed by PLO actions is
negligible : they are ``war commercials'' to keep the Palestinian
cause alive, at best.

	THEREFORE, the Israelis are in a position where they can afford
to be ``generous'', and listen to the justified demands of the
Palestinian people, the United Nations and everybody else.
In fact, this would not be ``generosity'', but plain political wisdom
and long-term strategic planning.

	Instead, the State of Israel sees itself as a Middle East Prussia,
( "Un Etat dominateur et sur de lui" as General de Gaulle once put it).

	Prussia has been very successful indeed, but if you look
at a map, you will see that it has taken the Slavic people two centuries
to get rid of it.

hijab@cad.Berkeley.EDU (Raif Hijab) (04/04/88)

In article <1136@deepthot.UUCP> areski@deepthot.UUCP () writes:

> Arabo-islamism promotes a mythical Arab Nation, based on Islam,
> and similarly ruthlessly fights, or suppresses non-Arab peoples
> who happen to be under, or close to, Arab yoke : the Iranians,
> the Kurds in Iraq and Syria, the Coptes in Egypt, the Anya-Nya
> in Sudan, the Berbers in Libya, Algeria and Marocco. The fact
> that some of those non-Arab people are Moslem (e.g. the Kurds
> or the Berbers), or of the same ethnic origin (e.g. the Coptes,
> who are Christian) does not help them a great deal : some Semite
> Moslem Arabs can be selectively anti-Moslem or anti-Egyptian.
> So, why couldn't they be selectively anti-semitic (against Jews) ?

Areski is clearly well-meaning, but not well informed.

There is nothing evil or ruthless about Arab nationalism per se.
Its modern manifestation evolved in opposition first to Turkish
domination and then to British and French colonialism. Today the
demon which the Arab world fights is U.S. neocolonialism (via
unpopular client regimes) and the soviet-U.S. competition for
strategic dominance. Of course, the Arabs are also fighting their
own backwardness, the threat to their traditional culture from
Western invasion, and internally for social justice, human rights
and democratic institutions.

What Areski fails to note, in accusing the Arabs of repressing
minorities, is how much the supposed Sunni Muslim Arab majority
is repressed in most of the Arab countries. In Syria, the country
is ruled by the Alawite minority, which ruthlessly oppressed Sunni
fundamentalist opponents of the Muslim Brotherhood, but has not,
to my knowledge, targeted the Kurds in any way. In earlier regimes,
Kurds have played a dominant role. The leader of the Communist party
in Syria in the fifties was Khaled Bakdash, a Kurd.

In Egypt, the Copts actually enjoy a privileged status and have
access to all the centers of power. It is true that there is communal
friction, encouraged by extremists of both the Coptic and Muslim
communities. It is true that the uneducated masses have engaged in
unsavory riots at times. This, however, is certainly not true of
Egyptians as a whole, nor of any Egyptian government that I can
remember.

Including the Iranians among the groups 'persecuted' by the Arabs is
ridiculous. The last time that Iran was under Arab rule was a long,
long time ago, almost eight centuries since the formal demise of
the Abbasid Empire. It is true that there are Iranian communities in
Iraq, Kuwait, Bahrain and the Emirates. These minorities have generally
fared well, although there is a bias in favor of 'authentic' Kuwaitis,
Bahrainis, Abu-Dhabians, etc. which other Arabs experience as well.

Now to the problem of Iraq: At the present, there is a war between
Iraq and Iran. It is an ugly war which I condemn without reservation.
My sympathies are directed equally at the suffering of both Iraqis
and Iranians. Iraqis of Iranian descent are probably persecuted by
Iraq. Indeed, I have read that Saddam actually deported a large number
of Iraqi citizens to Iran because that they were supposedly ethnic Iranians.
Iraq has also persecuted the Kurds in the north, though not consistently.
It seems that each time the regime felt threatened from the outside,
it became more paranoid about the Kurdish 'threat'. But there are
obvious reasons for the apparently schizophrenic Iraqi behaviour:

It all goes back to the Sykes-Picot British-French agreement during
the First World War, and the Conference of San Remo of 1920, which
created British and French mandates in Iraq, Palestine and Syria.
At the same time the Treaty of Sevres, under the influence of President
Wilson's support for self-determination, called for a Kurdish state
in eastern Turkey. This promise was never fulfilled. As drawn, the
northern Iraqi border with Turkey, and the eastern Iraqi and Turkish
borders with Iran, left the Kurds divided, with most of them in eastern
Turkey, but with sizable minorities in northern Iraq and north-western
Iran. Hans Kohn writes in his "Nationalism and Imperialism in the
Hither East" (George Routledge, London, 1932),

	It was clear that the Peace Treaty of Sevres, which provided
	for a Kurdish State, was not going to be ratified... There
	could , therefore, be no question of uniting the Kurds of Iraq
	and Turkey, especially as the Turks had no intention of granting
	the Kurds in their country autonomy or freedom to develop their
	national culture. (p.226)

	[Quoting a British-authored League of Nations Report, 1924]

	"Himself [King Faisal of Iraq] too far-seeing a nationalist
	not to recognize and respect the sentiment in others, he was
	ready to extend to the Kurdish provinces within the Kingdom
	of Iraq a full measure of local autonomy." (p.226)

In surveying the Iraqi approach to the Kurdish problem, Kohn states,

	The solution to the Kurdish problem in Iraq is the sole example
	in Eastern States of an attempt to solve the minorities problem,
	in contrast to the efforts of Turkey and Persia to denationalize
	the minorities. (p.228)

One must admit that the earlier successes of Arab-Kurdish coexistence in
Iraq have met with several reverses. This was in large measure compounded
by the callous use of the Kurds as pawns by both the United States and
Soviet Union, which took turned supporting Kurdish insurgencies in a
manner not very different from what happened to the Eritreans, as I
mentioned in an earlier posting.

Addressing the Shi'a dimension in Iraq, Kohn writes,

	The Shi'ah question is not a national question in Iraq. With
	the exception of a few Persian leaders, the Shi'ahs in Iraq are
	Arabs. In the years following the World War they stood side by
	side with the Sunnis of Iraq's national claims. (p.228)

The problems of Iraq have been compounded by the following:

1. Iraq's borders were drawn to exclude the Arab areas of the district
   of Khuzestan, which Arab nationalists wanted to be a part of Iraq.
   A significant result of this, and of the fact that Kuwait was kept
   as an autonomous Sheikhdom under British protection, left Iraq with
   the narrowest access to the sea via Shatt-el-Arab. This was probably
   one of the reasons Saddam Hussein reneged on the 1975 Treaty with
   the Shah of Iran, which gave Iran control over half of the waterway.
   Strategically, that meant that Iraq's economic lifeline was to
   remain hostage to Iran's good intentions.

2. Iraq's richest oil fields are concentrated in two areas. One is
   Kirkuk, in the heart of the Kurdish provinces in the north.
   The second is around Basra on the Shatt el-Arab waterway in the south.
   Iraq feels vulnerable in both areas.

There is no doubt that nationalist paranoia has exacerbated these
problems, but the seeds of trouble were planted by the Allies in the
First World War, when they imposed the present borders.

The problem with the Sudan is similar. The Sudan was a British, and
later an Egyptian-British, protectorate. Its main purpose was to provide
continuity between Britain's military presence in Egypt and her extensive
presence in East Africa. It was with this in mind that the British drew
up the Sudan's present borders. The result was to attach the largely
animist south with its thick jungles and isolated communities to the
Arab and Muslim north.

The modern state system, based on the principle of sovereign borders,
demands of modern states a paranoid defense of their integrity, in the
face of secessionist movements. This is not unique to the cases mentioned.
Other examples abound elsewhere. Look at the tragic Nigerian wars, and
the strife in Zimbabwe, where diverse tribal and ethnic groups are
brought together in supposedly national states which often do not respect
ethnic boundaries. Look at the Sikhs in India, and the Tamils in Sri Lanka.
The temptation for the dominant group to get a bigger share of the pie
is great. The temptation to brutally opress secessionist sentiment is
even greater.

The Arab states which face this dilemma recognize this. At times, they
have tried to deal with their problems in a sensitive and humane way.
At other times, regime instability and vulnerabilty has led to brutal
policies. The essential problem, all along, has not been rampant
nationalism as much as it has been the proliferation of undemocratic
regimes, which have often oppressed everyone equally.

> How long has one to wait before the Israelis Jews acknowledge that
> the Palestinians are their equals in rights and dignity in Palestine,
> and before the Arabs acknowledge the same for the Kurds, the Coptes,
> the Anya-Nya and the Berbers in their respective lands ? Are Arabs and
> Jews incapable of ethical universalism ?

 I hope not.

Raif Hijab (hijab@cad.Berkeley.EDU)