[talk.politics.soviet] Computers in the Eastern Bloc

jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) (06/09/89)

In article <2717@ndsuvax.UUCP> nubartho@plains.nodak.edu (Bruce Bartholomew) writes:
>I'm really curious as to the state of the art in personal computers in
>the Eastern bloc (I've read about them in Russia) and how prevelant
>they are in the "average" home.  Anybody that can answer this one for
>me?
>Bruce Bartholomew  715 South 4th Street Moorhead, MN 56560  218-233-2534
>INTERNET: nubartho@plains.nodak.edu *or* nu034421@vm1.nodak.edu
>UUCP: uunet!ndsuvax!nubartho     BITNET: nu034421@ndsuvm1
>      "Some days are diamonds, some days are stones" - Charley Johnson

You might want to check out a copy of "V mire personal'nikh komp'juterov,"
published by IDG Communication and Radio i Svjaz'.  The first copy was
published in August 88.  Even if you don't read Russian looking at the
advertisements is interesting.  (IMHO, Apple's add is the most impressive -
two page spread about the IIGS).

About half of the magazine is Russian translations of Western articles, mostly
from PC World (the English title of the magazine is "PC World - USSR,"
and IDG is a part of the organization that puts out PCW).

--

		James Moore
			jamesm@sco.com

gene@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Yevgeny Y. Itkis) (06/14/89)

In article <3583@viscous.sco.COM> jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) writes:
>In article <2717@ndsuvax.UUCP> nubartho@plains.nodak.edu (Bruce Bartholomew) writes:
>>I'm really curious as to the state of the art in personal computers in
>>the Eastern bloc (I've read about them in Russia) and how prevelant
>>they are in the "average" home.  Anybody that can answer this one for
>>me?
>>Bruce Bartholomew  715 South 4th Street Moorhead, MN 56560  218-233-2534
>>INTERNET: nubartho@plains.nodak.edu *or* nu034421@vm1.nodak.edu
>>UUCP: uunet!ndsuvax!nubartho     BITNET: nu034421@ndsuvm1
>>      "Some days are diamonds, some days are stones" - Charley Johnson
>
>You might want to check out a copy of "V mire personal'nikh komp'juterov,"
>published by IDG Communication and Radio i Svjaz'.  The first copy was
>published in August 88.  Even if you don't read Russian looking at the
>advertisements is interesting.  (IMHO, Apple's add is the most impressive -
>two page spread about the IIGS).
>
>About half of the magazine is Russian translations of Western articles, mostly
>from PC World (the English title of the magazine is "PC World - USSR,"
>and IDG is a part of the organization that puts out PCW).

I am surprised no one with the fresh direct sources didn't publish a responce
to this. But the last I heard (pretty recent though not the most direct source)
even the cheapest PC's run 40-50K roubles and up. Considering that a 200
roubles/month is a good salary (a *real* big shot may get 500-600, and recent
grads get usually under 150) you can judge for yourself how prevalent they are
in an average soviet home. Btw, I think they are not available in stores - only
in the good old black market. How are things in other Eastern bloc countries I
don't know.