[comp.lang.forth.mac] A PD/shareware/freeware Forth for a MacPlus??

Lewis_P@cc.curtin.edu.au (Peter Lewis) (09/11/90)

Hello,
   Is anyone out there?
   I am looking for a PD/shareware/freeware Forth interpreter for a MacPlus.
Is MacForth such a beast (or is it commercial)?  If not is there any others?
TIA for any information,
   Peter.

Disclaimer:Curtin & I have an agreement:Neither of us listen to either of us.
*-------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+-------*
Internet: Lewis_P@cc.curtin.edu.au              I Peter Lewis
ACSnet: Lewis_P@cc.cut.oz.au                    I NCRPDA, Curtin University
Bitnet: Lewis_P%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet  I GPO Box U1987
UUCP: uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!Lewis_P I Perth, WA, 6001, AUSTRALIA

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (09/11/90)

From article <3329.26eca9e1@cc.curtin.edu.au>, by Lewis_P@cc.curtin.edu.au (Peter Lewis):
>    I am looking for a PD/shareware/freeware Forth interpreter for a MacPlus.
> Is MacForth such a beast (or is it commercial)?  If not is there any others?
> TIA for any information,

MacForth (Creative Solutions) is a commercial Forth product, as is Mach II
Forth from Palo Alto Shipping.  I have used both, but not for some time now,
and I really can't vouch for the state of their current compatability with
recent Mac systems.  MacForth is a more traditional Forth environment, but
Mach II had some really nifty features like named parameter input, and standard
text file sourse instead of Forth Blocks.  It was also, as I recall, a lot
cheaper than MacForth, and had excellent support.

As for a PD/Shareware Forth, your best bet would be contact FIG, wherever they
are these days...

	- Ed Rotberg -

dredick@bbn.com (The Druid) (09/11/90)

In article <3329.26eca9e1@cc.curtin.edu.au> Lewis_P@cc.curtin.edu.au
(Peter Lewis) writes:
> Hello,
>    Is anyone out there?
>    I am looking for a PD/shareware/freeware Forth interpreter for a
MacPlus.
> Is MacForth such a beast (or is it commercial)?  If not is there any
others?
> TIA for any information,

The only PD/shareware Forth interpreter for the MacPlus that I know of are
PocketForth and SteveForth. I have both systems and the source code if you
like sitting here on my hard disk. Both systems have been reviewed in
MacTutor by Jorg Langowski.

=    The Druid (dredick@bbn.com)                                          =
=                   "Did you ever feel that you were a typewriter,        =
=                    when everone else in the world was a wordprocessor"  =

hawley@adobe.COM (Steve Hawley) (09/12/90)

In article <59406@bbn.BBN.COM> dredick@bbn.com (The Druid) writes:
>The only PD/shareware Forth interpreter for the MacPlus that I know of are
>PocketForth and SteveForth. I have both systems and the source code if you
>like sitting here on my hard disk. Both systems have been reviewed in
>MacTutor by Jorg Langowski.

That's interesting.  SteveFORTH is *NOT* public domain.  It is in Beta
release, and until I can get my own Mac system (I wrote it on a borrowed one),
it will *NOT* be formally released.  Most likely, the system will be released
as ShareWare with source code given with registration.  Most likely, this will
happen within a year.  As of this point in time, the status of SteveFORTH is
up in the air.  This is made VERY clear in the documentation.

I should know.  I wrote SteveFORTH.

I'm very curious about this review, and would like to get in touch with the
author.  Can someone tell me what the issue was, or how to get in touch with
Jorg Langowski?

Steve Hawley
hawley@adobe.com
--
"I can always telephone, but I can't tell it much."
	-Roy Blount

mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) (09/13/90)

   A co-worker of mine is heavily into Forth.  I know he has worked with a
couple on the Mac.  He might have an idea about any PD Forths.  He did mention
that some of the Forths he has looked at have difficulty working on the newer
Macs.

mark				mrx@dhw68k.cts.com

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (09/14/90)

PocketForth is public domain/freeware (probably the latter) and is
availible by anon ftp from sumex.stanford.edu.

Looks fine when I played with it -- well adapted to the Mac.

Kevin Purcell          | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science,       |
Liverpool University   | Programming the Macintosh is easy if you understand
Liverpool L69 3BX      | how the Mac works and hard if you don't. -- Dan Allen