[comp.theory.cell-automata] Easter request

turing@ctcs.leeds.ac.UK (Turing Conference) (04/13/90)

I have been asked by a colleague at Leeds to send on this message:

I would be grateful if, like myself, you were able to respond to a letter
received recently, in order to help Craig. He is a 7 year old boy who
is in the Royal Marsden Hospital in London.

Craig Shergold has a tumour on the brain and one on the spine and has very
little time to live.

It is his ambition to have an entry in the Guiness Book of Records for
the largest number of "Get Well" cards ever received by an individual.

Please send a card to:
	Craig Shergold
	56 Selby Road
	CARSHALTON
	Surrey
	SN6 1LD
	United Kingdom

I would be grateful if you could send a copy of this letter to at least
another 10 companies or individuals.

Yours sincerely,

Ian Mitchell Lambert
Department of Theology
University of Kent at Canterbury

bmb@THINK.COM (04/13/90)

   From: Turing Conference <turing%ctcs.leeds.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK>
   Date: Thu, 12 Apr 90 23:37:32 BST

   I have been asked by a colleague at Leeds to send on this message:

   I would be grateful if, like myself, you were able to respond to a letter
   received recently, in order to help Craig. He is a 7 year old boy who
   is in the Royal Marsden Hospital in London.

   <...>

Two points about this:

1) Please do *not* use the CA mailing list for chain letters.  Chain
letters are an abuse of the Internet.  Since the CA mailing list is
generously maintained by TMC, the posting of chain letters to it is also
an abuse of TMC's resources.  It was intended to be a means of
information exchange for people involved in CA research, and it should
be restricted to scientific topics.  Those of us who justify its
existence to TMC management do not need to have this sort of thing
happen.

2) This particular chain letter has been the topic of some controversy.
When it was posted to the "connectionists" mailing list, a recipient
noted that the young boy in question recently made the news because he
has been receiving *too* many cards, and he does not want them any more.
Apparently this chain letter has been propagated to quite a few
electronic mailing lists and FAX machines; the boy was receiving order
10^4 cards per day, and had accumulated a mountain of order 10^6 cards.
Thus, it is not a good idea to comply with the request of this chain
letter, or to propagate it any further.

Thanks,
Bruce M. Boghosian
Thinking Machines Corporation