[comp.theory.cell-automata] Genetic Algorithms and the Death of Insects

jsaxon@cs.tamu.edu (James B Saxon) (06/28/90)

Does anybody know what happened to the line of study looking into
insect algorithms that would improve each time an insect died
and was replaced with a different one.  Somebody was doing it
at Martin Marietta about 2 years ago...

Thanks...

--
 ---- \ / ----	  /--------------------------------------------\  James Bennett Saxon
|   O|	 |   O|	  |  "I aught to join the club and beat you    |  Visualization Laboratory
|    |   |    |   |   over the head with it." -- Groucho Marx  |  Texas A&M University
 ----     ----   <---------------------------------------------/  jsaxon@cssun.tamu.edu

kingsley@hpwrce.HP.COM (Kingsley Morse) (06/30/90)

A lot of work has been done on Genetic Algorithms. John Holland did some
good work in 1974, and an new book a different author is called
"Genetic Algorithms". I think it was published in 1989 by a professor
froma southern university (Alabama?).

dmcmilla@rcsdjm.uucp (Don McMillan CS 50) (07/03/90)

In article <8370002@hpwrce.HP.COM>, kingsley@hpwrce.HP.COM (Kingsley
Morse) writes:
|> A lot of work has been done on Genetic Algorithms. John Holland did some
|> good work in 1974, and an new book a different author is called
|> "Genetic Algorithms". I think it was published in 1989 by a professor
|> froma southern university (Alabama?).

It's by David Goldberg, UofA.  There have been several International
Conferences on the topic of Genetic Algrithms.  Lots going on in this area
right now.

Don McMillan           __  .   .   Phone: (313) 986-1436
CS Department         /  ` |\ /|   UUCP: {umich,cfctech}!rphroy!rcsuna!dmcmilla
GM Research Labs      | ,_ | | |   CSNet: mcmillan@gmr.com
Warren, MI 48090 USA  \__/ |   |   Internet: dmcmilla%rcsuna.uucp@umich.edu

kurzi@netmbx.UUCP (Dieterich) (07/03/90)

In article <8370002@hpwrce.HP.COM> kingsley@hpwrce.HP.COM (Kingsley Morse) writes:
>A lot of work has been done on Genetic Algorithms. John Holland did some
>good work in 1974, and an new book a different author is called
>"Genetic Algorithms". I think it was published in 1989 by a professor
>froma southern university (Alabama?).

Maybe it's the same I flipped through this morning in a book shop. It's
called
  "Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization & Machine Learning"
  David E. Goldberg
  Addison-Wesley (Reading, MA ...) 1989

I couldn't read it totally :-)
But I think it might be interesting. There is some source-code for programmers.

Andreas

--
( Andreas Schulz-Dieterich         tub!unido!vax.hmi.dbp.de!schulz-dieterich )