[comp.theory.cell-automata] Life references

hiebeler@heretic.lanl.gov (David Hiebeler) (07/12/90)

In article <9625@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> kassover@minerva.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) writes:

> You may also wish to get a copy of Recursive Universe, by, I
> think, William Poundstone, in which is discussed Conway's Life
> and von Neumann's life work, in a form that does not depend on
> particular computer hardware or software.

The most relevant sources of information about Life are:

Berlekamp, Conway, and Guy, "Winning Ways for your Mathematical Plays, Vol. 2,
(Academic Press, 1982).

William Poundstone, "The Recursive Universe", (Contemporary Books, Inc. 1985).

Martin Gardner's "Mathematical Games" column in Scientific American:
October 1970; February, March, April, 1971; January 1972.

You might also be interested in back issues of the "Lifeline"
newsletter.  The editor of the newsletter was Robert Wainwright.  I'm
not sure how much the back issues go for these days, but you can write
to him to find out.  (It would be polite to enclose a self-addressed
stamped envelope too, for him to reply, since he doesn't make money
off of this as far as I know):

 Lifeline: A Quarterly Newsletter for Enthusiasts of John Conway's
 Game of Life, 1971-1973
issues may be obtained from:
  Lifeline
  12 Longvue Ave
  New Rochelle, NY 10804

--
Dave Hiebeler                      | Internet: hiebeler@heretic.lanl.gov
Complex Systems Group              | Bitnet: userF3JL@rpitsmts

b31@nbi.csci.unt.edu (David Williams) (07/12/90)

In article <|RS$1B^@rpi.edu> hiebeler@heretic.lanl.gov (David Hiebeler) writes:
>In article <9625@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> kassover@minerva.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) writes:
>
>> You may also wish to get a copy of Recursive Universe, by, I
>> think, William Poundstone, in which is discussed Conway's Life
>> and von Neumann's life work, in a form that does not depend on
>> particular computer hardware or software.
>
>The most relevant sources of information about Life are:
>
>Berlekamp, Conway, and Guy, "Winning Ways for your Mathematical Plays, Vol. 2,
>(Academic Press, 1982).
>
>William Poundstone, "The Recursive Universe", (Contemporary Books, Inc. 1985).
>
>Martin Gardner's "Mathematical Games" column in Scientific American:
>October 1970; February, March, April, 1971; January 1972.
>
>You might also be interested in back issues of the "Lifeline"
>newsletter.  The editor of the newsletter was Robert Wainwright.  I'm
>not sure how much the back issues go for these days, but you can write
>to him to find out.  (It would be polite to enclose a self-addressed
>stamped envelope too, for him to reply, since he doesn't make money
>off of this as far as I know):
>
> Lifeline: A Quarterly Newsletter for Enthusiasts of John Conway's
> Game of Life, 1971-1973
>issues may be obtained from:
>  Lifeline
>  12 Longvue Ave
>  New Rochelle, NY 10804
>
>--
>Dave Hiebeler                      | Internet: hiebeler@heretic.lanl.gov
>Complex Systems Group              | Bitnet: userF3JL@rpitsmts
>MS B213, Theoretical Division      | UUCP: crdgw1!automtrx!hiebeler
>Los Alamos National Laboratory  /  Los Alamos, NM 87545  USA

See also:
Wheels, Life and other Mathematical Amusements
Martin Gardner
W. H. Freeman & co.
1983

neat stuff...