[comp.theory.cell-automata] the game of life, lifelines

haleden@newsigi.colorado.edu (Hal Eden) (07/24/90)

does anyone have any references for Conway's game of Life, or any
copies of the Lifeline newsletter that was published in the 70's.

thanks,
hal

haleden@boulder.colorado.edu

sthomas@library.adelaide.edu.au (Steve Thomas) (07/30/90)

In article <HALEDEN.90Jul24101544@newsigi.colorado.edu> haleden@newsigi.colorado.edu (Hal Eden) writes:
>does anyone have any references for Conway's game of Life, or any
>copies of the Lifeline newsletter that was published in the 70's.

You might try:

      The recursive universe: cosmic complexity and the limits of
      scientific knowledge by William Poundstone
      1st ed. published New York; Morrow, c1985

I found this to be a useful introduction to the theory and philosophy of the
game.

--
/*
  Steve Thomas, Barr Smith Library, University of Adelaide, South Australia

vic@corona.Solbourne.COM (Vic Schoenberg) (08/07/90)

In article <HALEDEN.90Jul24101544@newsigi.colorado.edu>
haleden@newsigi.colorado.edu (Hal Eden) writes:

>does anyone have any references for Conway's game of Life, or any
>copies of the Lifeline newsletter that was published in the 70's.

See Martin Gardner's "Mathematical Games" columns in Scientific American,
Oct. 1970 and Feb. 1971.

--

Vic Schoenberg  	vic@Solbourne.COM
303/678-4603		...!{uunet,boulder,sun}!stan!vic