[comp.theory.cell-automata] I need a flier

tmeacham@desire.wright.edu (09/12/90)

Hello, I have a basic question about the program LIFE.  Can anyone show me the
basic set up of a "flier"?  The LIFE program I have is bounded to the cells
visible on the screen (off-screen cells being permanently 'dead').  I'd like to
see a flier in action.

					Thanks,
				Thomas Meacham
				Dayton, Ohio

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (09/21/90)

In article <1204.26ed5d45@desire.wright.edu>, tmeacham@desire.wright.edu writes:
> Hello, I have a basic question about the program LIFE.  Can anyone show me the
> basic set up of a "flier"?  The LIFE program I have is bounded to the cells
> visible on the screen (off-screen cells being permanently 'dead').  I'd like to
> see a flier in action.
>
> 					Thanks,
> 				Thomas Meacham
> 				Dayton, Ohio

Hi:

Do you mean a "Glider"  If you do, go and see the Toffoli & Margolus book
Cellular Automata Machines.  on page 26 is a close up of a "Glider Gun"
There is also a program of life that comes with Quick C which I've used to
view a Glider.  Only one you see.  You must have a high res field or an
empty one to recognise them.  Or you must be able to build an initial state
& know how to construct a "Gun" do get one going.

 Here is what one looks like:

 XX
XX

    X X
     XX

          XX
         XX

Gliders that is.  Tumbling, or gliding.

I would think a gun design depends upon your particular Viewing machine and
its rules of interaction.  You'll have to know the rules which your system
operates under to do a glider experiment.  If you are talking about gliders
that is. . .

Ronn