[comp.theory.cell-automata] lattice gas on CM ref wanted

squier@cs.Princeton.EDU (Richard Squier) (09/27/90)

I haven't been able to find any published results on the performance
of the Connection Machine simulating the FHP lattice gas on the
hexagon grid.  I have some old articles which show some pictures,
but I really would like to see some throughput numbers.  Anybody seen
something of this sort in publication, or elsewhere?
thanks.

hiebeler@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Dave Hiebeler) (09/28/90)

In article <3133@rossignol.Princeton.EDU> squier@cs.Princeton.EDU (Richard Squier) writes:

> I haven't been able to find any published results on the performance
> of the Connection Machine simulating the FHP lattice gas on the
> hexagon grid.

  The Jan/Feb 1990 issue of "Computers in Physics" has an article by
Bruce Bogshosian (of Thinking Machines Corporation) called
"Computational Physics on the Connection Machine".

  I don't remember if he addresses FHP performance specifically, but
he does discuss a few different applications, how they are redesigned
to work well on a data-parallel machine, and how well they perform.
He mentions that many applications routinely achieve performances in
the 1-8 gigaflop range (although that number is going up, I believe,
as TMC is improving their compilers).

  It's a good article that takes a look at some CM applications.  It's
also very grounded in reality; that is, it's based on actual
production runs on the CM, as opposed to being a "predicted
performance" report that one often sees.

  This is the only thing I can think of at the moment that might have
some information that you're looking for.  I've personally run FHP on
the CM, under a general cellular-automata environment I developed on
the CM ("Cellsim").  In that context, FHP (using a lookup-table) runs
at something on the order of 500 updates/second on a 256x256 grid.
That's a *very* rough estimate I made while attached to 16384
processors, several months ago.

  Doing lookup-table cell-updates is fairly efficient on the CM.  The
way I do it, it takes a few NEWS operations to fetch the neighbors,
followed by 1 shared-array-lookup and 4 normal-array-lookups.
--
Dave Hiebeler                           | Internet: hiebeler@turing.cs.rpi.edu
Computer Science Dept., Amos Eaton Bldg.|           hiebeler@heretic.lanl.gov

In article <DRM%8~-@rpi.edu> I wrote:

> ...an article by Bruce Bogshosian (of Thinking Machines Corporation)

  Slight typo there -- the name is Bruce Boghosian (I guess my finger
wandered over to 's' when it shouldn't have, before).

--
Dave Hiebeler   hiebeler@turing.cs.rpi.edu
Computer Science Dept, RPI