[comp.theory.cell-automata] physical modeling

hiebeler@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Dave Hiebeler) (10/20/90)

In article <KIDO.90Oct20192712@lotus.math.keio.ac.jp>
kido@math.keio.ac.jp (Takashi Kido) writes:

[paraphrased; spelling/grammar corrected]
>  I hear that cellular automata are very useful for simulating physical
> phenomena.  I'm very interested in cellular automata and I want to
> survey the topic.
> Does anyone know about some interesting experiments?.

  A good book to check out is:

"Cellular Automata Machines: A New Environment for Modeling" by
Toffoli and Margolus (MIT Press, 1987).

It describes many physical simulations, as well as some of the
techniques used to construct these models.  It's currently the best
book available on this topic, in my opinion.  One thing to note -- in
the book, they describe a CAM-6 cellular automata machine, and give an
address for ordering information.  Well, a new company is producing
the CAM now (with a few improvements); if you are interested and want
the new address, send me e-mail.

  You can find articles about other CA models in the following places:
  - A.K. Dewdney's "Computer Recreations" (now renamed "Mathematical
    Recreations") column in Scientific American magazine.  He's done
    several CA articles during the past 2 or 3 years.
  - The Physica D journal.  Volume 10-D has the proceedings of a CA
    conference held at Los Alamos a few years ago.  The proceedings
    from last year's CA conference should appear in this journal later
    this year.

There are other sources, which you will be led to if you follow the
references in the book and articles above.

--
Dave Hiebeler                           | Internet: hiebeler@turing.cs.rpi.edu
Computer Science Dept., Amos Eaton Bldg.|           hiebeler@heretic.lanl.gov