[comp.theory.cell-automata] Life Wars

kawl@quads.uchicago.edu (david john kawliche) (01/22/91)

	I have recently written a program (in LSC 4.0, for the mac)
that allows two 'teams' of cellular automata to be grown in the same
medium.  The interactions between cells of the same type can be set
and so can the interactions between cells of differing types.  I have
gotten some very interseting results in the first few passes at this sort
of simulation and believe that the possiblity for warring, symbiotic,
segragationalist and other general behaviors are possible.  I am interested
in knowing if anyone has done this before, and if there is interest in
such a program.

hiebeler@think.com (Dave Hiebeler) (01/23/91)

> 	I have recently written a program (in LSC 4.0, for the mac)
> that allows two 'teams' of cellular automata to be grown in the same
> medium.  The interactions between cells of the same type can be set
> and so can the interactions between cells of differing types.
> ... [I] believe that the possiblity for warring, symbiotic,
> segragationalist and other general behaviors are possible.
> I am interested in knowing if anyone has done this before, and if
> there is interest in such a program.

  Norm Packard did some work on evolving CA rules, and I believe some
"competition" between rules was involved in those experiments,
although I forget the details.  I *think* this was described in the
article "A Learning Algorithm for Modeling Complex Spatial Dynamics"
by Packard, Meyer, and Richards.  However, my files are in storage
right now, so it would be a couple of weeks before I could go check.
Also, I don't know where the article was published.  [If someone could
tell me, I'd appreciate it.]  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm
wrong here, since Norm's work is very well-known.

  I know Rudy Rucker has done some CA programs (on both the CA Lab PC
software, and the CAM CA coprocessor) where he runs two different
rules on two different bitplanes, and gives a "mask" specifying where
they may interact, as well as some rule for interaction.

  Rucker wrote this up in the following article:
"Symbiotic Programming: Crossbreeding Cellular Automaton Rules on the
CAM-6", in _Complex Systems_ journal, vol. 3, 1989 (pp 79-90).

  I'm sure there have been others, that I'm forgetting right now.

  I've done a little bit of work with Chris Langton's "vants", or
"virtual ants".  (See "Studying Artificial Life with Cellular
Automata", by C. Langton, in Physica D, vol. 22, 1986 (pp. 120-149)).
I extended the notion by experimented with two different types of
vants, whose behaviors were essentially "mirror images" of each other,
with some specification for the interactions between the two different
types.  I found that the behavior with 2 types of vants was
significantly more interesting than the behavior with only 1 type.  I
haven't written anything up about it, and haven't fiddled with it for
quite a while now.  I had these running both on a CAM, and on a
Connection Machine.

--
Dave Hiebeler                  | Internet: hiebeler@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation  | Phone:  (617) 234-4070 (work)

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan21.190759.3684@midway.uchicago.edu> kawl@quads.uchicago.edu (david john kawliche) writes:

|	I have recently written a program (in LSC 4.0, for the mac)
|that allows two 'teams' of cellular automata to be grown in the same
|medium.  The interactions between cells of the same type can be set
|and so can the interactions between cells of differing types.  I have
|gotten some very interseting results in the first few passes at this sort
|of simulation and believe that the possiblity for warring, symbiotic,
|segragationalist and other general behaviors are possible.  I am interested
|in knowing if anyone has done this before, and if there is interest in
|such a program.

	Such a program was done a couple of years ago
	for the Amiga by Chuck McManis. The source was
	sold as a demo of the use of as many Amiga
	functions as could be put in a program, mostly
	for programmer education. Nevertheless, the
	program was quite interesting as well as being
	visually attractive...

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu