[comp.theory.cell-automata] RESEND Life Wars, Ants

brucec@phoebus.labs.tek.com (Bruce Cohen;;50-662;LP=A;) (02/08/91)

In article <9102041839.AA01139@air.acad> rudy@air.UUCP (Rudy Rucker)
writes:
>     I think one of the biggest problems at this point is FINDING
> SOMETHING INTERESTING FOR THE ANTS TO DO.  The idea of having ants
> compete against each other is a suggestive game-oriented application,
> analagous to Core Wars.  But could the ants ever do something of
> commercial interest?  Designing the circuits for chips and boards is
> a possibility that is sometimes mentioned, but, as I think Hiebeler
> pointed out, there are already special purpose programs that do this
> much more directly and efficiently.

Here's a half-baked suggestion: chemical synthesis.  One of the big
problems in synthesizing even simple organic compounds is that the yield
and overall reaction rate of the synthesis is dependent (usually in a
non-linear way) on the yields of the intermediate reactions, and often on
the yields of other reactions which inhibit the desired one.  Seems like
the kind of optimization problem which would yield (sorry!) to genetic
search.
Speaker-to-managers, aka
Bruce Cohen, Computer Research Lab        email: brucec@tekchips.labs.tek.com
Tektronix Laboratories, Tektronix, Inc.                phone: (503)627-5241
M/S 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR  97077

burns@latcs1.oz.au (Jonathan Burns) (02/17/91)

Thanks to: brucec@phoebus.labs.tek.com (Bruce Cohen;;50-662;LP=A;)
in <BRUCEC.91Feb7133503@phoebus.labs.tek.com>

writes:
>     I think one of the biggest problems at this point is FINDING
> SOMETHING INTERESTING FOR THE ANTS TO DO.  The idea of having ants
> compete against each other is a suggestive game-oriented application,
> analagous to Core Wars.  But could the ants ever do something of
> commercial interest?  Designing the circuits for chips and boards is
> a possibility that is sometimes mentioned, but, as I think Hiebeler
> pointed out, there are already special purpose programs that do this
> much more directly and efficiently.

My impression is that ants would be good at tesselation problems. In
particular, a memory manager, say for virtual storage, could be built
on the basis of static objects (cells) which represent pages in
virtual and real address-space, plus mobile objects (ants) which run
around linking pages together, promoting virtual pages to real and
copying reals back to virtual.

The question is: among VM algorithms, are there already cheap ones that
get 80% usage or so from real storage? Is it worth investing in CA
mechanisms to try and claim another 10%?

Answer: maybe so. Inituition says that a bottleneck develops when
storage is large, but is managed by a uniprocessor. So, run multiple
MMU's (memory management units) in parallel. But now you have to
arbitrate communications between the MMUs. So, set them up with a
regular neighbourhood topology, and give each a simple set of state
rules. Voila, CA.

Then, for instance, write a new instruction set for a VLIW machine
in emulation. Run a test suite on it repeatedly. Let the ants find
their own rules for locally optimum performance. Burn the rules in.

A similar, maybe even more suitable application is disk space management
for file systems and databases.

A pleasant aspect is that cached storage is a modular part of any
system. Build a cache with CA smarts, and it doesn't entail any change
in CPU architecture.

Jonathan Burns        | Clashing for the warrior, whose strength is not to fight
burns@latcs1.lat.oz.au| Clashing for the refugee, on the unarmed road of flight
Computer Science Dept | And for each and every underdog soldier in the night
La Trobe University   | We gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing    -Dylan