[comp.theory.cell-automata] CA in hardware

burton@unixg.ubc.ca (Steve Cumming, net.leftist) (03/19/91)

In "Cellular Automata Machines", Margoulis and I can't recall who,
1985, a hardware implementation of a CAM for PC's, based on FORTH
is described. It is claimed that the thing is available from
an outfit called "Systems Concepts" in San Francisco.

I can't track them down. Has anyone out there more up to date
info?

I want one of these to test out some ideas about integrating
simulation models of ecological processes with GIS....

Steve C.

--
#include "../h/disclaimer.h"        /* I am not really Phil Burton, btw. */
burton@unixg.ubc.ca		    ... and if dinosaurs "became" birds

streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.165506.15135@unixg.ubc.ca> burton@unixg.ubc.ca (Steve Cumming, net.leftist) writes:
>In "Cellular Automata Machines", Margoulis and I can't recall who,
>1985, a hardware implementation of a CAM for PC's, based on FORTH
>is described. It is claimed that the thing is available from
>an outfit called "Systems Concepts" in San Francisco.

>I can't track them down. Has anyone out there more up to date
>info?

The text, "Cellular Automata Machines," is by T. Toffoli and N.
Margolus.  It is published by the MIT Press, Massachusetts Institute
of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02142.

The original hardware implementation of a CAM for the PC was available
from Systems Concepts in San Francisco.  This machine was known as
CAM-6.  Systems Concepts is producing them only on a highly irregular
basis at this time.  An new upgraded version, backwards-compatible
with CAM-6, is the CAM-PC now available from Automatrix, Inc.

For further information about the CAM-PC, you can contact the Chief
Engineer for the CAM-PC, Bob Tater, at automtrx!campc@crdgw1.ge.com

Additionally, we here at MIT (I am a member of the research group with
Toffoli & Margolus) are now working on CAM-8, a CAM hardware
implementation that uses a Sun SPARCstation as a primary host.  The
CAM-8 hardware provides very significant capability and performance
enhancements over either CAM-6 or the CAM-PC.  The CAM-8 prototypes
are expected to be completed by the end of August.

For more information on CAM-8, feel free to contact me at the
addresses below.

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter