[sci.math.num-analysis] Scientific Plotting Package under MSDOS?

<J0S@psuvm.psu.edu> (03/26/91)

I recently observed (and was very impressed by) the 3-D graphical
output from a Mac. scientific spreadsheet program called, I believe,
WINGS.  The display was a 3-D surface hanging above a contour
projection of the same data.  Rather than using meshes and contour
lines, they used color encoding at the pixel level to encode data
values.  Hidden portions of the surface were also hidden on the 3-D
display.

Are you aware of any programs like this running under MSDOS?

Thanks, Jack Sharer, j0s@psuvm.psu.edu

gettys@yacht.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys) (03/27/91)

	Wingz is also available on the PC to run under MS-Windows V3. I don't
know if it has all the capability of its MAC counterpart, though.

	/s/	Bob Gettys

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (03/27/91)

In article <91085.095650J0S@psuvm.psu.edu> J0S@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I recently observed (and was very impressed by) the 3-D graphical
>output from a Mac. scientific spreadsheet program called, I believe,
>WINGS.  The display was a 3-D surface hanging above a contour
>projection of the same data.  Rather than using meshes and contour
>lines, they used color encoding at the pixel level to encode data
>values.  Hidden portions of the surface were also hidden on the 3-D
>display.
>
>Are you aware of any programs like this running under MSDOS?

There is a version of Wingz (that's the correct spelling) for Microsoft
Windows 3.0.

However, Quattro Pro will do the same thing without Windows.

cd5340@mars.njit.edu (David Charlap) (03/27/91)

In article <91085.095650J0S@psuvm.psu.edu> J0S@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I recently observed (and was very impressed by) the 3-D graphical
>output from a Mac. scientific spreadsheet program called, I believe,
>WINGS.  The display was a 3-D surface hanging above a contour
>projection of the same data.  Rather than using meshes and contour
>lines, they used color encoding at the pixel level to encode data
>values.  Hidden portions of the surface were also hidden on the 3-D
>display.
>
>Are you aware of any programs like this running under MSDOS?

The spreadsheet program "Wingz" by Informix has been released for
Microsoft Windows.  I don't recall it being a scientific plotting
package, though.  I have seen "Mathematica" for the Mac, and it is
quite impressive (it's what the ads in our college newspaper have
shown recently).  Unfortunately, the IBM version requires a 386, a
math chip, and still won't plot to the screen.  Only the Mac and
Sun versions will do that.
--
David Charlap                   "Invention is the mother of necessity"
cd5340@mars.njit.edu            "Necessity is a mother"

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.010612.21633@njitgw.njit.edu> cd5340@mars.njit.edu (David Charlap) writes:
>I have seen "Mathematica" for the Mac, and it is
>quite impressive (it's what the ads in our college newspaper have
>shown recently).

>Unfortunately, the IBM version requires a 386, a
>math chip,

true. A 486 is better.

>and still won't plot to the screen.

ABSOLUTELY WRONG. It plots very nicely to the screen.

Doug McDonald