[comp.periphs.printers] troff and HP Laserjet II

rs@eddie.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) (12/04/89)

Does anyone know what measures are necessary to get an HP Laserjet II
to work with troff?  How about a Laserwriter?  The Laserjet is
preferred, since we already own one...

--
                Robert E. Seastrom     rs@eddie.mit.edu

Member of the League for Programmers' Freedom      Innovate - Don't Litigate

kvk@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Kevin) (12/04/89)

In article <1989Dec4.021536.16064@eddie.mit.edu>, rs@eddie.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) writes:
> Does anyone know what measures are necessary to get an HP Laserjet II
> to work with troff?  How about a Laserwriter?  The Laserjet is
> preferred, since we already own one...

I have the same problem. I know Elan Corp sells a troff version for the
PC for I believe about $500, but I'd really like to use my mainframe
UNIX system instead. I can't find a Laserjet driver (i.e. for troff -Tlj),
but I can produce postscript. Does someone have a postscript to Laserjet
converter, or the necessary Laserjet (or Deskjet) driver tables?

						Kevin Kinder
						att!ihlpl!kvk

reino@cs.eur.nl (Reino de Boer) (12/05/89)

kvk@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Kevin) writes:

>I have the same problem. I know Elan Corp sells a troff version for the
>PC for I believe about $500, but I'd really like to use my mainframe

They also sell software for UNIX on minis and mainframes.

Reino
--
Reino R. A. de Boer
Erasmus University Rotterdam ( Informatica )

clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) (12/07/89)

From article <1989Dec5.095840.9792@cs.eur.nl>,by reino@cs.eur.nl(Reino de Boer):
> kvk@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Kevin) writes:
>>I have the same problem. I know Elan Corp sells a troff version for the
>>PC for I believe about $500, but I'd really like to use my mainframe
> They also sell software for UNIX on minis and mainframes.
> Reino R. A. de Boer

A filter for C/A/T output (old troff) to LaserJet was posted in one of
the source groups.  The original author (from README) was:

Sverre Froyen
UUCP:   boulder!fesk!sverre, sunpeaks!seri!fesk!sverre

and an updated version (from README2) was posted by:

David MacKenzie
Environmental Defense Fund
edf@rocky2.rockefeller.edu (...rutgers!cmcl2!rocky2!edf).

They both work fairly well but not as well as the integrated Eroff/pic
from Elan.  They don't cost $1495 either ... ( IBM RT version ).  If
you have the money, buy EROFF else pick up the filter from an archive
site.
--
Ed Clarke
acheron!clarke

mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) (12/11/89)

In article <2582@cbnewse.ATT.COM> kvk@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Kevin) writes:
>In article <1989Dec4.021536.16064@eddie.mit.edu>, rs@eddie.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) writes:
>> Does anyone know what measures are necessary to get an HP Laserjet II
>> to work with troff?
>I have the same problem. I know Elan Corp sells a troff version for the
>PC for I believe about $500, but I'd really like to use my mainframe
>UNIX system instead.

Elan also sells versions for VMS and several other OS.  Give them a call.

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (12/12/89)

In article <1989Dec5.095840.9792@cs.eur.nl> reino@cs.eur.nl (Reino de Boer) writes:
    kvk@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Kevin) writes:

    >I have the same problem. I know Elan Corp sells a troff version for the
    >PC for I believe about $500, but I'd really like to use my mainframe

    They also sell software for UNIX on minis and mainframes.

Vastly cheaper is JetRoff, a package by Rick Richardson. It is a shareware
ditroff-to-LJII filter, that comes with a few interesting accessories, and
quite a few fonts.  Registering costs $100 for companies and $50 for
individuals. It comes with full source code, and is highly portable. An
older, but working, version, has been posted to comp.sources.unix (or
.misc?).

There have been a number of plugs for the product on the net, so apparently
many people have tried it on several machines, and been happy.

Urban Applied Sciences redistributes JetRoff with a cheap ditroff *binary*,
for a cost under $200. It is unextended ditroff, but I don't think that is a
problem if you are on a budget. They may have it only for 386 Unixes, though.

Rick Richardson can be reached as 'uunet!pcrat!rick' or at (201) 389 8963.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg