[comp.periphs.printers] Help Needed with PC/NFS and HP Laserjet II setup

win@audiofax.com (Win Strickland Jr) (02/06/90)

We have recently attached our HP Laserjet Series II printer to our
Sun file server and are attempting to use it from a number of PCs
networked together using PC NFS.

Everything "seems" to be set up correctly and the PCs can send print jobs
through the network to the printer, queued up by lpd on the Sun.  However,
a number of documents seem to be coming out with "garbage" at the
beginning (what looks like part of a font download), and some spurious
looking text segments with the wrong font.   Others just come out
with a variety of problems.

This is not a strictly repeatable situation, sometimes a document works,
and then it doesn't.

Here's our printcap entry:

lp2|HP:\
	:lp=/dev/ttya:\
	:br#4800:fc#0177777:fs#06023:xc#017777:xs#044040:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lp2:sh:sf

We're using (I mean, trying to use) PageMaker, Write, and other
PC oriented tools, and we're having them dump HPPCL to the printer
when they output a file for printing.

Win Strickland					Internet: win@audiofax.com
Director of Product Development			    UUCP: emory!audfax!win
AudioFAX, Inc.		       Phone: 404 933 7600   Fax:     404 933 7606
2000 Powers Ferry Road      /     Suite 220     /       Marietta GA  30067

ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (02/06/90)

In article <202@audfax.audiofax.com> win@audiofax.com (Win Strickland Jr) writes:
>We have recently attached our HP Laserjet Series II printer to our
>Sun file server and are attempting to use it from a number of PCs
>networked together using PC NFS.

I've always dreamed of a system whereby a bunch of PCs can use a Sun
file server, be Unix terminals at will, use a remote file system,
rlogin onto one of the few Sun workstations ... etc.

What are the hardware/software vendors supporting such integration and
what are the capabilities supported?  Canya tell me whatever you know
about prices too?

Thanx,
	-ans.
Ajay Shah, (213)747-9991, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/06/90)

win@audiofax.com (Win Strickland Jr) writes:

>We have recently attached our HP Laserjet Series II printer to our
>Sun file server and are attempting to use it from a number of PCs
>networked together using PC NFS.

>Everything "seems" to be set up correctly and the PCs can send print jobs
>through the network to the printer, queued up by lpd on the Sun.  However,
>a number of documents seem to be coming out with "garbage" at the

It is possible that the programs are sending raw data, and the Sun is doing
some interpretation of the stuff.  Try spooling one of the jobs, and then
copying the file BY HAND directly to the io port.  If it works then you
will have to modify the printer interface to simply pass the raw data, and
not to do anything with it.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

STOROBB@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (02/08/90)

The network you describe, with PCs and unix workstations happily interacting,
is fairly easy to implement with either of two Sun products.  TOPS is a neat
little network; it supposedly can connect Macs, PCs, and NFS unix machines. I
haven't had any real experience with it, though.  We are setting up an
Ethernet network here, connecting PCs into our Sun 4s (SPARCs).  Sun sells a
software package, PC/NFS, that runs in one of two modes.  Either the PC sees
the Sun peripherals (disks, printers) as DOS devices (D:, LPT2:) that can be
used directly by any DOS program.  Alternatively, the PC can be turned into a
unix terminal rlogged into a workstation (text only).  Sun also sells a few
bells and whistles (called "lifeline") that ties you into the Sun mail system
and allows you to use the Suns as a backup device.  The cost of PC/NFS is
about $400 (software only, heavily discountable); lifeline is an extra $125
(non-discountable).

We have a PostScript printer (the new IBM one) attached to the network; it
doesn't seem to suffer the same problems as the HP LaserJet seems to.

Robert Stoddard

brian@advsys.UUCP (Brian Rippon) (02/14/90)

Could it be a problem with /etc/printcap ?

Ours looks something like:
	:fc#071457:fs#06320:mx#0:sf:sh:\
	:xc#0:xs#0040040:\

I've forgotten the significance, but it works for us (albeit not tried from
PC-NFS). Sure as hell, if the printcap's wrong, you get garbage fonts etc.
I know. We've done it several times.

Brian.