[comp.periphs.printers] HP LaserJet III questions

thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Bill Thorson) (05/27/90)

I have two different questions about the Laserjet III.  I just recieved
mine.

  1) I didn't get the postscript card yet.  I ordered it before HP
     actually started shipping it.  Does anyone know if HP has started
     shipping?  That may be the reason I haven't recieved it yet.

  2) I was reading the manual about the new PCL and saw that they have
     added a compression scheme they called tagged image file format.
     Does this imply that one can just send a TIFF file and the printer
     will understand how to print it,  or is it mean that one of the
     many compression schemes that are in TIFF is supported?  I would
     love it to be the former.

#!/bin/sh
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#
echo Bill Thorson                   thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu
echo Dept of Atmospheric Science    (303) 491-8339
echo Colorado State University
echo Ft. Collins,  CO  80523        Cray||Sun||Amiga -- I can't decide?
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#

neg@NRC.COM (Neal Goldsmith) (05/29/90)

In article <7277@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Bill Thorson) writes:
>  1) I didn't get the postscript card yet.  I ordered it before HP
>     actually started shipping it.  Does anyone know if HP has started
>     shipping?  That may be the reason I haven't recieved it yet.

Yes, it has. It is in very limited supply (and heavy demand). I got mine about
a month ago. I would think if you ordered it that long ago you should have one
by now. I'm still waiting on my Appletalk interface though...

>  2) I was reading the manual about the new PCL and saw that they have
>     added a compression scheme they called tagged image file format.
>     Does this imply that one can just send a TIFF file and the printer
>     will understand how to print it,  or is it mean that one of the
>     many compression schemes that are in TIFF is supported?  I would
>     love it to be the former.

When in PCL mode (requires the PS cartridge to be removed), the III can print
images send in RLE, TIFF, or Delta Row formats. See page B-8 of the manual
for proper codes, you most send an escape sequence to tell the printer what
format you will be using.

--
  Neal E. Goldsmith                            Network Research Corp
  Internet: neg@nrc.com                        1620 Federal Ave #2

keith@sequoia.execu.com (Keith Pyle) (05/30/90)

In article <7277@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Bill Thorson) writes:
>I have two different questions about the Laserjet III.  I just recieved
>mine.
>
>  1) I didn't get the postscript card yet.  I ordered it before HP
>     actually started shipping it.  Does anyone know if HP has started
>     shipping?  That may be the reason I haven't recieved it yet.

It is apparently in short supply/high demand.  We ordered ours April 1 and
received it May 23.  However, our original ship date was set to something
like late June.  A conversation with our (very helpful) HP sales rep
helped.

>  2) I was reading the manual about the new PCL and saw that they have
>     added a compression scheme they called tagged image file format.

The implication is that you want both PostScript and PCL.  They are
mutually exclusive to the extent that with the PS cartridge, you can't
use PCL and vice versa.  You can power off, remove the cartridge and
power up again to get PCL in just a few minutes.  The reverse (power off,
insert cartridge, power up) takes a *long* time to get the initial PS
page out.  I didn't time it, but my guess is five minutes or more.  You
wouldn't want to do that very often I suspect.
Keith Pyle                                UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!keith
Execucom Systems Corp., Austin, Texas     Internet: keith@execu.com
                                                    execu!keith@cs.utexas.edu
                                               keith%execu.uucp@cs.utexas.edu
Disclaimer: What??  You actually believed me?

neg@NRC.COM (Neal Goldsmith) (05/30/90)

In article <17174@sequoia.execu.com> keith@sequoia.execu.com (Keith Pyle) writes:
>The implication is that you want both PostScript and PCL.  They are
>mutually exclusive to the extent that with the PS cartridge, you can't
>use PCL and vice versa.  You can power off, remove the cartridge and
>power up again to get PCL in just a few minutes.  The reverse (power off,
>insert cartridge, power up) takes a *long* time to get the initial PS
>page out.  I didn't time it, but my guess is five minutes or more.  You
>wouldn't want to do that very often I suspect.

To cut down on the PS init time (and save a few trees :-) ), you can disable
the power-up page. This will cut the init time down to less then 2 mins. I'm
not sure exactly how long, but the printer is ready by the time my SE/30 boots
into Multifinder.

I would agree that switching between the two is not something you would want to
do very often. If for nothing more then the wear and tear on the printer.