[comp.periphs.printers] Is it true that PostScript emulators for HP are too slow to use?

tom@litle.litle.COM (tom hampton) (06/02/90)

I have heard that PostScript emulators are basically too
slow to use.

Is this true?

Does anyone actually recommend an HPII based PostScript system?

clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) (06/02/90)

From article <4839@litle.litle.COM>, by tom@litle.litle.COM (tom hampton):
> I have heard that PostScript emulators are basically too
> slow to use.
> Is this true?
  Sort of true ...
> Does anyone actually recommend an HPII based PostScript system?

The current issue of Byte magazine evaluates a *ostScript clone
driver that produces a full page in 4 seconds.  My copy's at work,
but I remember that the driver is on a PC/XT/AT style board, contains
4 meg of memory and an Intel ix960 computer onboard.  Cost is about
$2500 ( $1k more than the printer! ).
--
               | "Consume waste products, you unclean offspring
Ed Clarke      |  of unmarried parental units! You male infants of
acheron!clarke |  female canines!  May the Prime Builder cast you

pa1@tdatirv.UUCP (Pat Alvarado) (06/04/90)

In article <1990Jun2.161504.20874@acheron.uucp> clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) writes:
>From article <4839@litle.litle.COM>, by tom@litle.litle.COM (tom hampton):
>> I have heard that PostScript emulators are basically too
>> slow to use.
>> Is this true?
>  Sort of true ...
>> Does anyone actually recommend an HPII based PostScript system?
>
>The current issue of Byte magazine evaluates a *ostScript clone
>driver that produces a full page in 4 seconds.  My copy's at work,
>but I remember that the driver is on a PC/XT/AT style board, contains
>4 meg of memory and an Intel ix960 computer onboard.  Cost is about
>$2500 ( $1k more than the printer! ).
>--

I believe the main reason behind purchasing a PostScript emulator for
the HPLJII is for cost effectiveness. While the Pacific Page emulator is
quite slow, it does produce PostScript quality comparable to an
Apple LaserWriter. If your application does not require speed printing,
but rather low cost, than an emulator may justify the 3000 or so
dollars you may save purchasing a PostScript printer.

The high speed emulator by HanZon Data Inc. to which I believe Ed is
referring to, is featured in Byte to outrun a $6k Apple LW IINT and will
operate with an PC/XT/AT compatible.

I have been using the $400 Pacific Page module attached to a Sun 386i for
the past few months and has done the job quite satisfactorily, although
quite slowly. Is it too slow to use? Not for our applications.

    YYY         Pat Alvarado
    YYY         Teradata Corporation
    YYY         Product Development
     v          12945 Jefferson Blvd. #2187
   Y   Y        Los Angeles, Calif. 90066
  YYY YYY       Phone:  (213) 302-6104
 YYY   YYY      FAX:    (213) 305-9746
YYY     YYY     E-Mail: tdat!pa1@suntzu.sun.com

disclaimer:     My comments do not reflect the philosophy or beliefs of
                Teradata Corp.