[comp.periphs.printers] Re-inking HP DeskJet ?

s_loewer (05/31/90)

hello !

   I am interesting in a HP Deskjet printer.
   The problem is the high costs of the ink boxes.
   I heard, that it should be possible to re-ink these boxes.

        What kind of ink can be used ? (name, BLACK permanent SuperQuink Parker
                                          or  Pelikan Black ink ....)
        What about the problems ? (not dry, smear ? )

Jochen Loewer     Bitnet:   uk6d @ dkauni2.bitnet
                  Internet: uk6d @ ibm3090.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de
                            s_loewer @ irav1.ira.uka.de
                                     @ iravcl.ira.uka.de

doug@ozdaltx.UUCP (Doug Matlock) (06/01/90)

In article <90.151.10:36:36@ira.uka.de>, s_loewer writes:
> hello !
>
>    I am interesting in a HP Deskjet printer.
>    The problem is the high costs of the ink boxes.
>    I heard, that it should be possible to re-ink these boxes.
>
>         What kind of ink can be used ? (name, BLACK permanent SuperQuink Parker
>                                           or  Pelikan Black ink ....)
>         What about the problems ? (not dry, smear ? )

I've not had any luck with Quink.  I've heard that Carter's Stamp Pad Ink
is the best (permanent also), and I'll be trying that next.  The most
difficult thing is finding something to inject the ink into the little
hole on top (syringes are illegal, but I have a couple left over from
legal treatments).
There are also companies that sell refillable cartridges for the DeskJet.
(And the ink too, one presumes).

--
Doug.

"If you want Peace, work for Justice."

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (06/01/90)

In article <6331@ozdaltx.UUCP> doug@ozdaltx.UUCP (Doug Matlock) writes:

> I've not had any luck with Quink.  I've heard that Carter's Stamp Pad Ink
> is the best (permanent also), and I'll be trying that next.

Sheaffer's "Skrip jet black" works well.  It comes in a 2 fluid ounce
(60 ml) bottle, which is good for quite a few refills.

>                                                               The most
> difficult thing is finding something to inject the ink into the little
> hole on top (syringes are illegal, but I have a couple left over from
> legal treatments).

If you enlarge the airhole on the top of the cartridge with a small
drill bit or reamer, you can use a mechanic's oil syringe, or a
gardener's syringe (used for injecting insecticides into squash vines to
kill borers), or even a narrow-tipped eyedropper.  You might want to
close up the airhole with a piece of plastic tape, afterwards, and then
punch a pinhole in the tape;  this will limit evaporation of the ink to
roughly what occurs with an un-drilled cartridge.

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

blk@mitre.org (Brian L. Kahn) (06/01/90)

Graphic Utilities in Waltham, MA (800-669-4723) sells some sort of
re-inking kit for the dj, and they claim their ink is better than HP.
More water resistant.

Price is about $14 as I recall.
--
B<   Brian Kahn   blk@security.mitre.org   "may the farce be with you"

pat@grebyn.com (Pat Bahn) (06/04/90)

A friend of mine read about this on compu-serve.

this is the gist of it.

Getting a low viscosity hi quality ink and a small bore syringe
and you are in business,  try to avoid poking extra holes in the ink
sac, go in where the existing puncture is,  now i think there is a
limnit on how much ink you can put in due to air entrapment,  but mayube
it will leak out around theneedle.

give it a try, let us know.  he said they had users who made it work.

Pat @ grebyn.com  | If the human mind was simple enough to understand,
301-948-8142      | We'd be too simple to understand it. -Emerson Pugh

doug@ozdaltx.UUCP (Doug Matlock) (06/04/90)

To continue this discussion, I refilled a cartridge with Carter's Stamp
Pad Ink over the weekend.  So far, so good.  It looks nice -- dark black
-- but it still smears somewhat (though not as bad as HP ink).

I got the name of a local distributor for the Graphic Utilities
refillable cartridges and ink here in Dallas.  They haven't answered
their phone, yet.

--
Doug.

"If you want Peace, work for Justice."

chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) (06/05/90)

  One of the ways to reduce "air entrapment" (i.e. pressurising
the cartridge) is to reverse the method used when loading a syring
from a vial.
  When you load a hypodermic, the recommended procedure is to
draw in an amount of air (into the hypo) that is equal in volume
to the desired dose.  You then inject the air into the vial, and
pull the liquid out.  This prevents creating a partial-vacuum in
the vial.
  So, try drawing out a syringe-full of air from the cartridge,
(you will create a partial-vacuum inside it) and inject a syringe
full of ink.

  BTW, sale and/or possession of hypodermic syringes is not illegal
everywhere in the U.S.  In Indiana, syringes are an OTC sale item.
(Although the retail vendor may have store policies stating that)
("doctor's permission" is a prerequisite for purchase.)

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (06/05/90)

In article <6342@ozdaltx.UUCP> doug@ozdaltx.UUCP (Doug Matlock) writes:
>To continue this discussion, I refilled a cartridge with Carter's Stamp
>Pad Ink over the weekend.  So far, so good.  It looks nice -- dark black
>-- but it still smears somewhat (though not as bad as HP ink).

>I got the name of a local distributor for the Graphic Utilities
>refillable cartridges and ink here in Dallas.  They haven't answered
>their phone, yet.

BrightDot Solutions in Lakeside, CA, is offering a service to recharge
and test DeskJet/DeskJet+/DeskWriter cartridges. They offer recharging in
Black, Blue, Brown, Green, Red, Turquoise, and Violet. I don't see
multiple passes with cartridge swapping as a solution for multicolor
graphics printing due to registration problems, but it should work for
spot color stuff.

Their prices (including tax and first-class return shipping):

	Black ink recharge		$ 7.50
	Color convert & recharge	$15.00 (you provide cartridge)
	Color convert & recharge	$27.50 (they supply cartridge)
	Two or more 			$25.00 (they supply cartridges)

(Their prices are going up on the 15th; the basic black ink recharge
is increasing by a dollar; I don't have the announcement with me, so I
don't have the increase amounts for the other types of recharge.)

They make no structural modifications to the cartridge, and advertise
a 24 hour turnaround. Their instructions are to send your undamaged,
carefully-packed empty print cartridges and check to:

	BrightDot Solutions
	12008 Serena Road
	Lakeside, CA 92040

Their phone number is (619)561-9415; their ad says "Call for product
info recording and free mailing container" -- but when I called the
number, I got a live person to talk to.

There is also a disclaimer that "BrightDot Solutions claims no
endorsement of its products or services by Hewlett-Packard or any
other company".

 Sean Malloy                                   | "The Crystal Wind is the
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  | Storm, and the Storm is Data,
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      | and the Data is Life."
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         | -- _Emerald Eyes_, D.K. Moran