[comp.periphs.printers] HP PaintJet XL

rcj@ozdaltx.UUCP ( Dallas) (07/06/90)

I need some information on the HP Paintjet XL printer.  I am working
on a software project now that will require color graphs being printed
and am seriously looking at the Paintjet.  What I need to know is
how easy is it to program?  I am familiar with PCL IV, and understand
that the Paintjet is a superset of this, but how much is added?How
easy is it to access differnt colors?

    Thanks,
         Robert

andrea@sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (07/10/90)

In article <6675@ozdaltx.UUCP> rcj@ozdaltx.UUCP ( Dallas) writes:

>I need some information on the HP Paintjet XL printer.  I am working
>on a software project now that will require color graphs being printed
>and am seriously looking at the Paintjet.  What I need to know is
>how easy is it to program?  I am familiar with PCL IV, and understand
>that the Paintjet is a superset of this, but how much is added?How
>easy is it to access differnt colors?

Piece of cake.  You can define color table or do direct color, and
PaintJet XL does a number of different types of dithering etc.  You can
do gamma correction, select dithering algorithm, set the black and white
color references.  If you are already familiar with PCL escape sequence
syntax, you'll have no problem whatsoever in whipping up a color driver.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett Packard, San Diego Technical Graphics Div., R&D Lab
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
Internet : andrea@sdd.hp.com (or andrea%hp-sdd@nosc.mil or @ucsd.edu)
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive - Mailstop 61U65, San Diego CA 92127-1899
Voice    : (619) 592-4664