[comp.periphs.printers] Looking for information on Full-Page scanners/ocr

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (07/25/90)

I am looking for a full-page scanner with associated OCR
software, preferably usable under Xenix or VP/IX under Xenix.

The only ones I have any information (scanty) on are:
	Panasonic FX-RS506U or FX-RS505U Scanners with Panasonic
	'Readright 2.0' software.

Any recommendations or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (07/25/90)

In article <5137@thebes.Thalatta.COM> campbell@thebes.Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
>I am looking for a full-page scanner with associated OCR
>software, preferably usable under Xenix or VP/IX under Xenix.

I think your best bet in the short and long run is the HP ScanJet+.
It also has ReadRight OCR software as an optional add-on.

This scanner uses an interface card that strongly resembles a
parallel printer adapter with 32K of dual port memory buffering
tacked on (16K addressable).  It does not use interrupts or DMA.
As such, it is not only capable of keeping up with the scanner
data rate, but it also works under VP/IX (at least under ISC
SVR3.2).  HP's ScanGal software is Windows/286 based, so that,
too, runs under VP/IX.  In order to make things work under VP/IX,
you need only to 'vconfig' a DDA device called, say, SCAN, and
allowing access to I/O ports 268-26f and dual port memory
addresses (say) D0000-D3FFF.  Then, you just put the word "SCAN"
in your vpix.cnf file on a line by itself.

As far as native UNIX support goes, we supply a device driver
in our FAX software package, but it is bundled and is only for
UNIX, not Xenix.  You might have to wait for someone (NOT us)
to come up with support for Xenix, and/or upgrade to UNIX.

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson | Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??? Ask About: |Mention
PC Research,Inc.| FaxiX - UNIX Facsimile System (tm)                   |FAX# for