[comp.periphs.printers] Which PostScript Cartridge for HPLJ III?

mr@cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (07/30/90)

][

Can anyone recommend a Postscript cartridge for the Laserjet III?  I'm
"torn" by having too many choices!  (Adobe Systems, Pacific Data
Products, Computer Peripherals' "JetPage", etc., etc.)  Speed isn't
too much of a concern--we can be patient--we just want good looking
output.

Primary use will be with Windows3 and Pagemaker 3.01 (and PM 4 when
released) and WordPerfect 5.1.  The LaserJet is being shipped with
an additional 2Mb of RAM.

Thanks for any comments.

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu

epew@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Erick Pew) (08/02/90)

> Can anyone recommend a Postscript cartridge for the Laserjet III?  I'm
> "torn" by having too many choices!  (Adobe Systems, Pacific Data
> Products, Computer Peripherals' "JetPage", etc., etc.)

Of course, I might be a little biased, but I'd recommend the HP PostScript
cartridge. Let me give you a few reasons:

1. The Adobe cartridge only works in a LJ II. Since you want one for an LJ III,
   that knocks out Adobe right off the bat.
2. The HP cartridge is true Adobe PostScript. I don't think any of the others
   are. I know Pacific Data uses the Phoenix clone.
3. The HP cartridge is generally faster than the PDP cartridge, don't know
   about the others.
4. You said you will be using this with a PC clone, but if you ever want to use
   it with a Macintosh, only the HP cartridge supports the HP AppleTalk
   interface for the LJ III.

The only competing product I know much about is the PDP cartridge. I know of
two advantages it has over the HP product:

1. Easier switching between PostScript and PCL.
2. It's cheaper.

Erick Pew
Hewlett Packard Boise Printer Division

mr@ogre (Michael Regoli) (08/06/90)

In <16830002@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> epew@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Erick Pew) writes:
In a message posted a while ago I wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a Postscript cartridge for the Laserjet III?  I'm
>> "torn" by having too many choices!  (Adobe Systems, Pacific Data
>> Products, Computer Peripherals' "JetPage", etc., etc.)

>Of course, I might be a little biased, but I'd recommend the HP PostScript
>cartridge. Let me give you a few reasons...

My thanks to everyone who responded to my request.  I went with the HP
Postscript (version 52.2) cartridge.  For a total of $2000, I got a
new LJIII (w/1Mb RAM standard), a 2Mb RAM card, and HP's PS cartridge.
(This is all university pricing.)  I consider it one heck of a deal
and I'm anxious to get going with it...  (All that retails for over
$4,000.)

Now, the question is:  Which printer driver should I be using?  I've
got WordPerfect 5.1 03/90 release which contains an HPIII driver, but
WP obviously doesn't know about the printer's Postscript capabilities.

Which WP driver works best with HP's Postscript?

I've also got Windows 3 which has the same deal:  a HPIII driver, but
not one for the III with a PS cartridge.

Which Windows 3/Pagemaker 3.01 printer driver works best with HP's
Postscript?

Thanks for the help!

--
michael regoli