[comp.periphs.printers] Facit printer info

twaldron@halley.UUCP (Terry Waldron) (08/08/90)

> From cs.utexas.edu!uwm.edu!rutgers!news-server.csri.toronto.edu!helios.physics.utoronto.ca!ists!terry Fri Jul  6 11:58:46 PDT 1990
> Article 741 of comp.periphs.printers:
> >From: terry@ists.ists.ca (Terry Lim)
> Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,ont.general
> Subject: Facit 4510 -- any others out there?
> Date: 5 Jul 90 21:35:46 GMT
>
> I'm looking for information about a dot-matrix printer called the
> Facit 4510.  It doesn't seem to respond to common sets of escape
> sequences, including Epson.  However, there is a rotary switch
> which appears to select proportional spacing.  In case you're
> wondering, I purchased this used and it came without a manual.
>
> I hope there's someone out there who can tell me which widely
> available printer this little box emulates, or even what the
> codes on the rotary switch all mean. (I figured out 10, 12, 17
> and PS).  Ideally, I'd love to have a copy of the manual.
>
> I also need to know what kind of ribbons to buy -- none of the
> ones I've tried fit.
>
> Terry Lim
> terry@ists.ists.ca

Terry,

   I saw your plea for help and my response is below. I hope it is enough
to get you off the ground.  Good luck with your studies.

Tandem Computers
Terry Waldron
14231 Tandem Blvd.
Austin, TX  78728
512-244-8312

Facit 4513/14  (Which I hope works for you)
Switch 1

1  on   Software pitch and font commands override rotary switch setting
   off  Rotary switch setting override software pitch and font commands

2  on   Lines/inch  - 6
   off              - 8

3   4
off off Skip Zone - 0
off on            - 1/2 inch
on  off           - 1 inch
on  on            - 1 1/2 inch

5  Off   Line length - 80 characters (132)
   on                - 40 characters (80)

6   7   8
off off off  Form length  - 12 inch
off off on                - 11 2/3 inch
off on  off               - 11 inch
off on  on                - 8 1/2 inch
on  off off               - 8 1/3 inch
on  off on                - 8 inch
on  on  off               - 5 1/2 inch
on  on  on                - 5 inch
Switch 2

1  off  CR=line terminator  LF=new line
   on   CR or LF=new line

2  off  Word length - 7 bits
   on               - 8 bits

3   4   5   SERIAL INTERFACE
off off off  Baud rate  - 110 bps (auto 2 stop bits)
off off on              - 300
off on  off             - 600
off on  on              - 1200
on  off off             - 2400
on  off on              - 4800
on  on  off             - 9600
on  on  on              - Parallel interface mode

6   7   8                   Epson FX mode               IBM mode (*)
                            (SW3 / 1-2)                 (SW3 / 1-2)
off off off  National  Set - US                         Character set 1
off off on                 - Swedish/Finnish            Character set 2
off on  off                - Danish/Norwegion           Character set 2 (N/D)
off on  on                 - German                     Character set 2
on  off off                - British                    Character set 2
on  off on                 - Italian                    Character set 2
on  on  off                - French/Belgian             Character set 2
on  on  on                 - Spanish                    Character set 2

(*) IBM character set 1 and IBM character set 2
Switch 3

1   2
off off   Mode   - FX X-ON/X-OFF  Protocol  No Download (*)
off on           - FX X-ON/X-OFF  Protocol  Download    (*)
on  off          - FX ETX/ACK     Protocol  No Download (*)
on  on           - IBM X-ON/X-OFF Protocol  No Download (*)

3  off  Parity (*) - off (parity bit not added)
   on              - on  (parity bit added)

4  off  Parity   - Even
   on            - odd

(*) Protocol relevant only for serial interface

Note: All current switch settings will be printed out in self-test mode.

Self-test mode: Hold LF switch down while powering on the printer until
                printing begins.

Hex Print Mode : Rotary switch in the HX position when powering on the
                 printer.  Must turn power off and rotate switch to disable.

Transparency Mode: Rotary switch in TM position when powering on the
                   printer.  Will on recognize basic charaters and
                   CR & LF. Must turn power off and rotate switch to disable.

Serial Defaults

Switch 1       Switch 2       Switch 3
1 - on         1 - off        1 - off
2 - off        2 - on         2 - off
3 - off        3 - on         3 - off
4 - off        4 - on         4 - off
5 - off        5 - off
6 - off        6 - off
7 - on         7 - off
8 - off        8 - off
Parallel Defaults

Switch 1       Switch 2       Switch 3
1 - on         1 - off        1 - off
2 - off        2 - on         2 - off
3 - off        3 - on         3 - off
4 - off        4 - on         4 - off
5 - off        5 - on
6 - off        6 - off
7 - on         7 - off
8 - off        8 - off

The printer uses Data Products ribbons: Vendor Number 6375