[comp.periphs.printers] Any use Kodak Diconix printer?

coe@lzsc.ATT.COM (Chris Eastlund) (08/20/90)

This printer is currently being sold
by DAK and others apparently on
a closeout basis.  I have heard that
this printer can use the HP ink cartridges,
which allows use if/when Kodak brand
replacements disappear.

Does anyone know why this might not
be a good deal at $250?

Chris Eastlund
(201) 576 6344

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (08/21/90)

In <2138@lzsc.ATT.COM> coe@lzsc.ATT.COM (Chris Eastlund) writes:

>This printer is currently being sold
>by DAK and others apparently on
>a closeout basis.  I have heard that
>this printer can use the HP ink cartridges,
>which allows use if/when Kodak brand
>replacements disappear.

>Does anyone know why this might not
>be a good deal at $250?

Good, not great.  I'm satisfied with mine because it's quiet,
reasonably fast, takes up almost no space, and even prints a business
letter with acceptable quality, provided you use the right paper,
the newer "plain paper" cartridge, and print in NLQ mode.  If you
*need* a tractor feed, and haven't much money, this is probably
your best choice.  True you can get a good Panasonic desktop printer
for the same money, but my experience with impact printers makes
me wary of those with too many moving parts:  maintenance will eat
you alive!

On the other hand, the Diconix has no sheet-feeder and no way to
add one.  Single-sheet loading is a pain.  The physical design
really only permits lettersize (American, and probably metric too)
forms; no envelopes, no narrow forms.  No HP compatibility (though
maybe this can be done with software), no font or page memory
(thought the readahead buffer holds nearly a page, and the single-sheet
handling is pretty good).  And the current Diconix model can be
had for only $100 more.

I've not got round yet to trying HP cartridges in mine, but DAK's
claim seems reasonable to me.  I've never heard of anybody but HP
working on inkjet technology (I think they have crucial patents),
so the basic technology of the Diconix is probably licensed from
HP in the first place.  If this *is* true, ThinkJet and DeskJet
will want to get some cartridges from DAK (800 325 0800), since
their "Diconix" cartridges are cheaper than the "real" HP ones.
--

ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
atina!pyramid!apple!netcom!ergo		Silicon Valley, CA

Disclaimer:  I am what I am, and that's all what I am!

hburford@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (08/23/90)

coe@lzsc.ATT.COM (Chris Eastlund) writes:

|>This printer is currently being sold
|>by DAK and others apparently on
|>a closeout basis.  I have heard that
|>this printer can use the HP ink cartridges,
|>which allows use if/when Kodak brand
|>replacements disappear.
|>Does anyone know why this might not
|>be a good deal at $250?
|>Chris Eastlund
|>(201) 576 6344

I have one of the first Diconix printers that was available.  In the
beginning, all I can say is YUK!   Even on special ink jet paper, the
print quality was very bad and the cartridges tended to dry out and
clog quickly and easily.   I think somewhere along the line there
was an exchange of technology where Diconix shared the ink forumulation
with HP and HP shared the head design with Diconix.  Remember the
'STINKjet' as they were called?

Replacement ink cartridges you get now are a tremondous improvement.
Print quality is VERY nice.  Quick dry ink means minimal smear.  And
I no longer have jet clog problems.  There is even a cartridge available
that will print on plane paper (have not tried this).   There are even
color cartridges available (have not tried them).   The cartridges will
work in both the Diconix and ThinkJet printers, in fact I'm not able
to locate Diconix cartridges anywhere.  No problem, HP ink cartridges
are plentiful and work fine.

I would buy another Diconix printer.

--
Harry Burford - NCR Peripheral Products Division, Printer Products
PHONE:316-636-8016  TELEX:417-465  FAX:316-636-8889    CALL:KA0TTY