[comp.periphs.printers] looking for hp lj II ethernet cards

wolfgang@wsrcc.uucp (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (10/12/90)

I can't imagine I'm the only one that wants to up a LaserJet on the
ether.  Are there any ethernet cards available for the HP LaserJet II
series that plug into one of the spare slots in the back?

The problem is that downloading a one page bitmap (eg. ghostscript
output) involves moving a megabyte of data.  This comes out to over 9
minutes for the download alone at 19.2 baud.  This is a bit too long
for my tastes and tends to slow the 8ppm printing down a bit.  ;-)

No - using the LJ Centronics port isn't really an option for me.  I am
running on an Sparc SLC which only has serial, SCSI and ethernet
connections.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    uunet!{nancy,usaos,media!ka3ovk}!wsrcc!wolfgang
Snail Mail Address:   Box 6524, Alexandria, VA 22306-0524

neil@uninet.cpd.com (Neil Gorsuch) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct12.044423.1802@wsrcc.uucp> wolfgang@wsrcc.uucp (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) writes:
>The problem is that downloading a one page bitmap (eg. ghostscript
>output) involves moving a megabyte of data.  This comes out to over 9
>minutes for the download alone at 19.2 baud.  This is a bit too long
>for my tastes and tends to slow the 8ppm printing down a bit.  ;-)
>No - using the LJ Centronics port isn't really an option for me.  I am
>running on an Sparc SLC which only has serial, SCSI and ethernet
>connections.

We have a SCSI based Centronics port that works fine on SLC's.  The
current model outputs at up to 30,000 characters per second, which
pushes the download time to around 30 seconds.

--
Neil Gorsuch        INTERNET: neil@cpd.com          UUCP: uunet!zardoz!neil
MAIL: 1209 E. Warner, Santa Ana, CA, USA, 92705     PHONE: +1 714 546 1100

dlr@daver.bungi.com (Dave Rand) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct15.231812.564@zardoz.cpd.com> neil@uninet.cpd.com (Neil Gorsuch) writes:
>In article <1990Oct12.044423.1802@wsrcc.uucp> wolfgang@wsrcc.uucp (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) writes:
>>The problem is that downloading a one page bitmap (eg. ghostscript
>>output) involves moving a megabyte of data.  This comes out to over 9
>>minutes for the download alone at 19.2 baud.  This is a bit too long
>>for my tastes and tends to slow the 8ppm printing down a bit.  ;-)
>>No - using the LJ Centronics port isn't really an option for me.  I am
>>running on an Sparc SLC which only has serial, SCSI and ethernet
>>connections.
>
>We have a SCSI based Centronics port that works fine on SLC's.  The
>current model outputs at up to 30,000 characters per second, which
>pushes the download time to around 30 seconds.

The HP laser jet II and III both top out at about 12.5-14 Kbytes per second.
This would be for transmitting bit map images - downloading bitmap fonts
can be a bit slower due to the additional processing needed on the HP side.

Are you perhaps talking about the input data rate (from the SCSI)? If so,
it may be reasonable. But I don't think that you can do 30K/sec to the
HP LJII or III. Please document this (or show a real-life example) if
possible.

At least you are down from 250K/sec (in one of your earlier postings :-)!

--
Dave Rand
{pyramid|mips|bct|vsi1}!daver!dlr	Internet: dlr@daver.bungi.com

neil@uninet.cpd.com (Neil Gorsuch) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct21.083458.11418@daver.bungi.com> dlr@daver.bungi.com (Dave Rand) writes:
>In article <1990Oct15.231812.564@zardoz.cpd.com> neil@uninet.cpd.com (Neil Gorsuch) writes:
>>We have a SCSI based Centronics port that works fine on SLC's.  The
>>current model outputs at up to 30,000 characters per second, which
>>pushes the download time to around 30 seconds.
>
>The HP laser jet II and III both top out at about 12.5-14 Kbytes per second.
>This would be for transmitting bit map images - downloading bitmap fonts
>can be a bit slower due to the additional processing needed on the HP side.
>Are you perhaps talking about the input data rate (from the SCSI)? If so,
>it may be reasonable. But I don't think that you can do 30K/sec to the
>HP LJII or III. Please document this (or show a real-life example) if
>possible.

The SCSI data rate ranges up to 1 or 2 Mbytes per second, depending on
the particular workstation.  The 30K characters per second is what our
gadget can do, but it is of course limited to what the Centronics
device can handle.  I have never tested an HP LJII or III, so if you
have seen 12.5-14 Kbytes per second with other interfaces that were
limited by the HP's bandwidth, that's what you will probably see with
ours too.  But I guess that's better than 19.2 K baud 8-).

>At least you are down from 250K/sec (in one of your earlier postings :-)!

That's a different model, the standard model is 30K/sec.