[comp.periphs.printers] Connecting Deskjets to Sun

ravi@aspen.IAG.HP.COM (T M Ravi) (10/27/90)

Hi Folks,

Sorry to use this newsgroup for routine requests like this - My
friend has a Sun at home and want a cheap printer. Does anyone know of
any software that will allow dvi, Postscript, tex etc. files to be
printed on a HP Deskjet or a Deskjet+.

Thanks
ravi
ravi@iag.hp.com
408 447 4552

ram@shukra.Eng.Sun.COM (Renu Raman) (10/28/90)

In article <1970001@aspen.IAG.HP.COM> ravi@aspen.IAG.HP.COM (T M Ravi) writes:

>friend has a Sun at home and want a cheap printer. Does anyone know of
>any software that will allow dvi, Postscript, tex etc. files to be
>printed on a HP Deskjet or a Deskjet+.
>
>ravi
>ravi@iag.hp.com
>408 447 4552

  I apologize too for posting this, if it offends anybody. The reason(s)
  are
      a) I have seen repeated requests for printer solutions on Suns
      b) I have a general question on "will this be the trend"?

      i.e. use general purpose computers/workstations (It started out with NeXT)
      as rendering engines and with minimal interface drive laser engines.

NEW PRINTING SOLUTION FROM SUN DELIVERS
SPEED, LOW COST FOR A RANGE OF OUTPUT DEVICES

NeWSprint Gives Printers PostScript Compatibility

Fast, Inexpensive SPARCprinter Is Ideal Output Device

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. --September 26, 1990-- Sun Microsystems today
unveiled a new approach to printing that complements the performance
and distributed computing capabilities of UNIX(R) workstations.  Until
now, UNIX systems -- the computing model for the `90s -- have employed
a printing model from the `80s borrowed from the PC industry.  Sun's
NeWSprint(TM), new software for its SPARC(R) computers that is part of
Sun's new printing solution, makes workgroup printing less expensive
and faster than it has ever been before.  The other part of Sun's
solution is SPARCprinter(TM), a quick (two to five times faster than
competing products), low-cost laser printer designed as the ideal
output device for the NeWSprint software.

Besides SPARCprinter, NeWSprint can work with a range of output
devices, including popular printers from Hewlett-Packard and Seiko.
With NeWSprint, Sun reinforces its aggressive drive into broad,
general-purpose computer markets, particularly those dominated by PCs.
This printing solution will be demonstrated at the Seybold Computer
Publishing Conference and Exposition on October 3-5 in San Jose,
Calif.

The PC printing model revolves around an "intelligent" printer whose
built-in processor and memory make the device more expensive.  For
example, PostScript(R), the industry-standard page description
language, usually requires such dedicated hardware.  Inadequate
processor performance and the need to carry out functions such as
downloading fonts also make PC printing slow.

NeWSprint departs from the PC model.  This software resides in a Sun
SPARCstation(TM) or SPARCserver(TM).  No intelligence is necessary in
the printer; instead, the computer's powerful CPU controls the output
device, with little system performance degradation during printing.
NeWSprint enables any output device hooked to the Sun system -- from
dot matrix, ink jet and laser printers to color thermal printers and
plotters -- to produce high-quality, PostScript-compatible output
quickly and inexpensively.  Any computer on the network can send
printing jobs to these output devices via the Sun system.

"For the first time, printing resources on a UNIX network can be driven
by the SPARC processor -- delivering faster printing times and allowing
users to continue working on other applications simultaneously," said
Wayne Rosing, vice president of Sun's Desktop Systems and Graphics
Group.  "NeWSprint leverages the CPU, memory and network capabilities
of the SPARCstation.  It doesn't re-invent printing standards; rather,
it makes them more available."

Sun also announced today that NeWSprint can operate with many printers
in various technologies from leading manufacturers such as Canon,
Epson, Fujitsu, Hewlett-Packard, Kodak, Xerox, Mitsubishi, Okidata,
Raster Graphics, Seiko, Talaris and Versatec.

SPARCprinter: Twice the Printer at Half the Cost

The other half of Sun's new open printing solution, SPARCprinter,
provides twice the speed, much better print resolution and more fonts
at less than half the cost of the Sun LaserWriter II that it replaces.
SPARCprinter leverages the powerful SPARCstation CPU to print up to 12
pages per minute   even on print jobs with complex PostScript graphics
or multiple fonts.  In contrast, many of today's PostScript laser
printers commonly produce between two to three pages per minute.

High quality is achieved with a resolution of 300 or 400 dots per inch
(software selectable).  SPARCprinter uses a high-bandwith interface,
which gives it these fast printing speeds.  SPARCprinter is attached
via an SBus card to a SPARCstation 1, 1+ or IPC.  The card contains a
SPARCprinter port and a Centronics parallel port.

NeWSprint Promotes "Open Printing"

NeWSprint is another example of Sun's commitment to open products that
utilize a user's existing investment and comply with industry
standards.  This printing solution takes advantage of Sun's innovative
NeWS(R) (Network-extensible Window System) technology, system software
that offers PostScript compatibility.

Although NeWSprint uses Sun's NeWS technology, it can operate in any
window environment running on Sun's SPARC systems, such as SunView(TM)
and OpenWindows(TM) (which includes Sun's X11/NeWS(TM) Window System).
However, there are special benefits from NeWSprint running on
OpenWindows, like true WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get), exactly
duplicating screen images in the printed document.  This "common
imaging model" is particularly important to electronic publishing and
-- increasingly -- office applications.

Ease of use is another advantage of OpenWindows.  Through the intuitive
OPEN LOOK(TM) graphical user interface and DeskSet(TM) tools, a user
can print documents simply by dragging a file icon with the mouse and
dropping it onto a print tool icon.

NeWSprint comes bundled with 57 brand name, scalable, outline fonts
made using Sun's F3(TM) font format.  These fonts are "hinted," which
maintains high-quality images at smaller point sizes.  More than 700
additional fonts are available from leading font suppliers such as
Linotype, Monotype, URW, Bigelow & Holmes and Autologic.

Markets for the New Products

Sun's new printing solution is especially important for Sun's
traditional markets, including electronic publishing and computer-aided
software engineering. It is also aimed at emerging Sun workgroup
applications, including commercial uses such as office automation,
financial services and decision support (presentation spreadsheets,
database reports).

For example, computer-aided design users running popular packages such
as AutoCAD and Mentor Graphics' Boardstation now have complete
flexibility in their choice of output device with NeWSprint.  They will
be able to transfer their PostScript files to low-cost dot matrix
printers, wax-transfer color printers or even large-bed plotters that
have not, until now, been able to print in PostScript.

Pricing and Availability

SPARCprinter is shipped with NeWSprint, the SBus Printer Card,
interface cables, software manuals and one right-to-use license.
NeWSprint can connect to printers through standard interfaces such as
serial, parallel, SCSI and Ethernet.  With NeWSprint comes software
that supports SPARCprinter and specific printers from Hewlett-Packard
and Seiko.  A development kit is available that allows quick, easy
support of many other printers.

SPARCprinter is priced at $2,695 (U.S. list).  NeWSprint software is
$495.  An SBus Printer Card (if purchased separately) is $695.  Volume
discounts are available.  All products will begin shipment in the
fourth quarter of this year and will be sold through all Sun channels,
including its new national value-added dealer channel.

Sun Microsystems, Inc., headquartered in Mountain View, Calif., is a
leading worldwide supplier of network-based distributed computing
systems, including professional workstations, servers and UNIX
operating system and productivity software.

###

NeWSprint, X11/NeWS, OpenWindows, SunOS and DeskSet are trademarks and
NeWS is a registered trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc. SPARCprinter,
SPARCstation and SPARCserver are trademarks and SPARC is a registered
trademark of SPARC International, based on technology developed by and
licensed exclusively to Sun Microsystems.  OPEN LOOK is a trademark and
UNIX is a registered trademark of UNIX Systems Laboratory, Inc.
PostScript is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems, Inc.  All other
products or services mentioned in this document are identified by the
trademarks or service marks of their respective companies or
organizations.

For reader inquiries, telephone 1-800-821-4643 outside California.
Inside California, call 1-800-821-4642.

Press Contact:
Leiann Lee (415) 336-0597
Carrie Dillon (415) 336-3564