[comp.periphs.printers] Inexpensive Postscript Laser Printer

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (11/18/90)

I just saw a *PostScript* laser printer at a local store for $1799.
The manufacturer was Texas Instruments -- I don't remember the model --
it was something like "personal laser" or some such.  Does anyone have
any experience with these?  (Do they emulate some popular printer
so common drivers would work with them?)

bill

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp,  bill%unixland.uucp@world.std.com

minyard@brchh116.Berkeley.EDU (Corey Minyard) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov18.143953.1071@unixland.uucp>, bill@unixland.uucp
(Bill Heiser) writes:
> I just saw a *PostScript* laser printer at a local store for $1799.
> The manufacturer was Texas Instruments -- I don't remember the model --
> it was something like "personal laser" or some such.  Does anyone have
> any experience with these?  (Do they emulate some popular printer
> so common drivers would work with them?)
>
> bill

I have a TI laser printer with the Postscript option, and it works well.
I have only had one paper jam, and the output is good.  It is real Postscript,
it takes everything I have thrown at it.

One word of warning: read the installation manual before you install the
toner, developer, etc.  I didn't, and I made a big mess.  It is not intuative,
but it is relatively easy if you read the directions.

I have seen another Postscript printer that was even cheaper than the TI
(NEC, I think).  It is amazing how cheap these thing are getting.

Corey Minyard

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov18.143953.1071@unixland.uucp>, bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
> I just saw a *PostScript* laser printer at a local store for $1799.
> The manufacturer was Texas Instruments -- I don't remember the model --
> it was something like "personal laser" or some such.  Does anyone have
> any experience with these?  (Do they emulate some popular printer
> so common drivers would work with them?)
>
> bill
>
> --
> home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
> 	bill@unixland.uucp,  bill%unixland.uucp@world.std.com
> 	Public Access Unix  - Esix SYSVR3 - (508) 655-3848
> other:	heiser@world.std.com   Public Access Unix (617) 739-9753

	The TI17 and 35 models are true postscript running Adobe v52.x
	postscript. (I think thats the version....?).

	Anyway, I have the TI35. It comes with the standard 35 postscipt
	fonts. I believe it also comes with additional HP type fonts
	but I'm not sure. It is 300dpi. Output is good to great, depends
	on your personal preferences.

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (11/21/90)

Heiser) writes:
>I just saw a *PostScript* laser printer at a local store for $1799.
>The manufacturer was Texas Instruments -- I don't remember the model --
>it was something like "personal laser" or some such.  Does anyone have
>any experience with these?  (Do they emulate some popular printer
>so common drivers would work with them?)

Bill probably saw the TI microlaser PS17. True Postscript, the "basic Laser-
Writer" font set (Times, Helvetica, Symbol, Courier). Personal Publishing
magazine reviewed its upscale brother, the PS35, in the Nov 90 issue.
Highlights: parallel port, 1.5 MB RAM. Appletalk and serial ports $149 extra
(?? this doesnt sound right to me). 250 sheet paper tray. PP did not like
its 6ppm Sharp engine, citing "visibly coarser [type]" and a messy toner/
developer system.

In the "personal" (read cheap) Postscript laser printer category, their
picks were the Apple Personal LW NT and the QMS PS-410; the former was
especially recommended for people printing lots of TIFF and such, the
latter for "raw power at a remarkable price."

--Kathy

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :