[comp.periphs.printers] Panasonic 1124

kronos@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Max Levine) (11/22/90)

Say folks, I just picked up a Panasonic KXP-1124 24 pin printer and while the
print quality is swell, it doesn't seem to want to print the nifty and
elaborate graphics characters that programs like Wordperfect allow you to use.
Does anyone know if this printer can be made to print such characters? Do I
have to shift into IBM Proprinter mode any time I want such characters? Thanks
much.
                        ---Max

"Where did you say the fish was?"

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!kronos
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!kronos@nosc.mil
INET: kronos@pnet51.orb.mn.org

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (11/27/90)

In article <3500@orbit.cts.com> kronos@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Max Levine) writes:
>Say folks, I just picked up a Panasonic KXP-1124 24 pin printer and while the
>print quality is swell, it doesn't seem to want to print the nifty and
>elaborate graphics characters that programs like Wordperfect allow you to use.
>Does anyone know if this printer can be made to print such characters? Do I
>have to shift into IBM Proprinter mode any time I want such characters? Thanks
>much.
>                        ---Max

Yes,  the KXP-1124 can be made to print those characters...I have such
a setup (WordPerfect 5.1 & KXP-1124 printer) and have had no problem
printing any of the graphic characters. I suggest you check the following
if you are having problems:
  1) WP 5.1 printer setup - do you have the proper printer selected
     (there *is* a selection for the KXP-1124, which is basically
      the same as an Epson LQ-2500 (i think, could be LQ-2550 - I forget
      the numbers right now)
  2) Print quality - you have hi/medium/lo choices for both text and
     graphics, I use hi for text and medium or hi for graphics.
  3) Print mode - draft or final. I think you have to use final mode
     for it to print the graphics properly. (I haven't tried printing
     graphics in draft mode, so I couldn't say for sure)
  4) KXP-1124 emulation mode, you have several choices: Epson LQ-2500
     or IBM Proprinter. With the Epson mode, you have 2 (3?) character
     sets. I use Epson mode (which is the default) and the default
     character set.

Basically I just took the KXP-1124 out of the box, plugged it in, put
paper in it and it worked just fine with WP graphics...

If I can be of more help, e-mail me

John Burton
(jcburt@cs.wm.edu)