[comp.periphs.printers] Subliminal dye?

1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) (12/11/90)

Anyone have any experience with subliminal dye color printers?
Group here doing imaging (mostly biomedical) wants a color output
device and insists they need subliminal dye [sounds like some
ghastly work of The Conspiracy, doesn't it?] for photo-like (rather
than half-tone-like) output.  There are both Sony (6"x5" format) and
Mitsubushi (8"x10") versions available, and having seen some output,
I'm forced to admit that for their purposes, this technology is
what they want.  However, I'm worried that for my purposes (mostly
line drawing, some surface-rendering), the low *spatial* resolution
of these machines (120 to 150 dpi) is going to give me nothing
but jaggies and fuzzies.

I can't come up with an alternative machine for less than $50K that
will meet BOTH our needs, so I guess I'll have to go along with their
plans.  At least the Mitsubushi speaks Postscript.  Any feedback?

Christopher Gunn	Molecular Graphics and Modeling Lab
SPAN--KUPHSX::GUNN	Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Malott Hall
913-864-4428 or -4495	University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045

grl@brb.dmt.csiro.au (Greg Lehmann) (12/11/90)

1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) writes:

>Anyone have any experience with subliminal dye color printers?
>than half-tone-like) output.  There are both Sony (6"x5" format) and
>Mitsubushi (8"x10") versions available, and having seen some output,

I believe Kodak have one. I have seen output from it and it was largish.
Don't recall the technology but it was true continuous tone. Last I heard
it wasn't available in Australia. It should be in the States, however.

>I can't come up with an alternative machine for less than $50K that

No idea on price.
--
Greg Lehmann,
CSIRO Division of Manufacturing Technology,     Telephone: +61 7 377 3877

blair@pyro.ei.dupont.com (Grant Blair) (12/13/90)

I have a product called the DuPont 4CAST LINK. It's a 300dpi TDS printer
which has a largest output format of 12" x 17". Up to 32 bits per dot.
Output is easily photographic quality and accepted formats include Sun,
GIF, TIFF, Targa and a few CEPS formats.....

Call 1-800-542-1483 for current pricing and other details.

grant.

|Grant C Blair, DuPont Imaging Systems, Newark, DE 19702, USA                 |
|blair@pyro.ei.dupont.com (192.58.195.64)        (302)-733-9533               |