[comp.periphs.printers] Cartridge limitations

leo@hoss.unl.edu (Leo Chouinard) (12/19/90)

Could someone explain to me why I haven't seen any reports that anyone
plans to come out with a cartridge for earlier LaserJet models to enable
them to use PCL 5 and HP's version of scalable fonts?  Is there some
reason why a cartridge couldn't do this?  (From the perspective of my
limited knowledge, it doesn't sound that much harder to create such a
cartridge than to create one that does Postscript.  Granted, the variable
dot size sounds like it might be undoable, but the rest shouldn't be.)

(This may have been asked before - if so, my apologies but I missed it.)

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec18.212800.25490@hoss.unl.edu> leo@hoss.unl.edu (Leo Chouinard) writes:
>Could someone explain to me why I haven't seen any reports that anyone
>plans to come out with a cartridge for earlier LaserJet models to enable
>them to use PCL 5 and HP's version of scalable fonts?  Is there some
>reason why a cartridge couldn't do this?  (From the perspective of my
>limited knowledge, it doesn't sound that much harder to create such a
>cartridge than to create one that does Postscript.  Granted, the variable
>dot size sounds like it might be undoable, but the rest shouldn't be.)

  I don't know if the variable dot is the central issue (and if that
requires laser/drum upgrade) but the HP LJ II can be upgraded by HP
to match the III's resolution enhancement and firmware capabilities.
It's about $900+. Call HP printer support 800 number for more info
(sorry don't have it near but could look it up).

Jeff Sicherman

jb@falstaff.mae.cwru.edu (Jim Berilla) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec18.212800.25490@hoss.unl.edu> leo@hoss.unl.edu (Leo Chouinard) writes:
>Could someone explain to me why I haven't seen any reports that anyone
>plans to come out with a cartridge for earlier LaserJet models to enable
>them to use PCL 5 and HP's version of scalable fonts?  Is there some
>reason why a cartridge couldn't do this?  (From the perspective of my
>limited knowledge, it doesn't sound that much harder to create such a
>cartridge than to create one that does Postscript.  Granted, the variable
>dot size sounds like it might be undoable, but the rest shouldn't be.)
>
>(This may have been asked before - if so, my apologies but I missed it.)

At Comdex last month, Pacific Data Products said that they had a cartridge
to that.  I only saw their 1 page handout for a few minutes, but I remember
that it was supposed to do scalable fonts and HPGL.  I don't even remember
the name of the cartridge, but it has a "five" in it somewhere.

I called my distributor (Tech Data) to get price & delivery, but they didn't
know anything about it.  They called Pacific and were told that it won't be
shipping until February or March next year.

BTW, does anybody have timing comparisons between the ljII and ljIII?  My
ljIII seems to be slower at HPGL than my ljII with the Plotter-in-a-cartridge.

--
      Jim Berilla / jb@falstaff.cwru.edu / 216-368-6776
"My opinions are my own, except on Wednesday mornings at 9 AM,