[comp.periphs.printers] PostScript Printers

terry@eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (01/04/91)

We have about $2000 in our budget to get a PostScript printer.  We
would like one that will print normal text at about 6 - 8 ppm and
need an RS-232 interface on it.  Do any of you have printers that
fit this description that you would recommend to others?  Any that
you have purchased you would avoid in the future?

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

elee1q@jetson.uh.edu (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.201827.11119@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, terry@eece.ksu.edu (Terr
> We have about $2000 in our budget to get a PostScript printer.  We
> would like one that will print normal text at about 6 - 8 ppm and
> need an RS-232 interface on it.  Do any of you have printers that
> fit this description that you would recommend to others?  Any that
> you have purchased you would avoid in the future?
>
> Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> Terry Hull
> Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University
> Work:  terry@eece.ksu.edu, rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!terry

You can buy a HP Laser Series II and pay another $250 for a Adobe Post Sript
Cartridge.  Then you will have a PS printer with parallel and serial interface
for $1400.  By the way, you can send the rest of $2000 to me.
--Steven

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (01/05/91)

If you go with the HP laserjet series II with Adobe's PS cartridge,
you still need to add at least 1 MB of RAM to the printer.

So roughly $1000 for the printer, $300 for the cartridge and $225 for the HP
1MB board ($150 if you buy Pacific's board) == $1525 + tax (or $1450 + tax)

(I used pricing from Elek-Tek (800) 395-1000, (708) 677-7660 only on the
printer and the memory board, Egghead sells the Adobe cartridge for $300.
These pricing are their retail prices, if you can swing some kind of deal,
educational or otherwise, the price will go down).

Bob
--
   Bob Kusumoto                               |    Find the electric messiah!
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       |          The AC/DC God!

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (01/05/91)

In article <8118.27838401@jetson.uh.edu>, elee1q@jetson.uh.edu writes:
> In article <1991Jan3.201827.11119@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, terry@eece.ksu.edu (Terr
> > We have about $2000 in our budget to get a PostScript printer....
>
> You can buy a HP Laser Series II and pay another $250 for a Adobe Post Sript
> Cartridge.  Then you will have a PS printer with parallel and serial interface
> for $1400.  By the way, you can send the rest of $2000 to me.

  Yes, but he had better subtract a chunk of that for an extra 2-4 MB of
  memory.....

  (else, the cartridge ain't going to do him much good)

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

chandler@beagle.UUCP (Jim Chandler) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan3.201827.11119@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, terry@eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
> We have about $2000 in our budget to get a PostScript printer.  We
> would like one that will print normal text at about 6 - 8 ppm and
> need an RS-232 interface on it.  Do any of you have printers that

Look at the above printer.  It is 8 ppm and has all 35 fonts resident.  We
have a KX-P4450 at work and have been using it for about 12 months with no
problems.  I am really impressed with the quality.  The above printer goes for
about $2000.  I would also seriously consider an HP LJ III with their new
Adobe PS cartridge.  It is licensed by Adobe and is about $400.  You will spend
a little more in the long run (about $2200 for printer, memory and cartridge).
But you will be getting an HP LJ.
> Terry Hull
> Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University
> Work:  terry@eece.ksu.edu, rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!terry

--
Jim Chandler
asuvax!xroads!beagle!chandler
chandler@beagle.uucp

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (01/07/91)

elee1q@jetson.uh.edu writes:

>In article <1991Jan3.201827.11119@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, terry@eece.ksu.edu (Terr
>> We have about $2000 in our budget to get a PostScript printer.  We
>> would like one that will print normal text at about 6 - 8 ppm and
>> need an RS-232 interface on it.  Do any of you have printers that
>> fit this description that you would recommend to others?  Any that
>> you have purchased you would avoid in the future?
>>
>> Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>You can buy a HP Laser Series II and pay another $250 for a Adobe Post Sript
>Cartridge.  Then you will have a PS printer with parallel and serial interface
>for $1400.  By the way, you can send the rest of $2000 to me.

Don't screw around with this low performance jerry-rigging if you have the
budget for a real PostScript printer.  For just a tad over 2 grand, you
can get the NEC postscript printer that has 2 paper bins built in, does
PostScript, HP Laserjet, Epson and Diablo 630 (!) emulations, has a serial,
parallel and Appletalk port, uses consumables instead of expensive cartridges
and is fast.  I've used this printer extensively and I've sold it to clients
who love it.

If you only want to spend about a kilobuck, look at TI's new personal
PostScript printer.  It is a neat little box that does PostScript and
HP laserjet emulation, uses consumables, has a user-replaceable photosensitive
drum, a serial and a parallel port.  One of my clients has one and I'm
impressed enough with it to buy one myself.  Our local discounter, Soft
Warehouse has 'em for a kilobuck even.  (404) 441 3300 if you can't find one
that cheap locally.

BTW, the AppleTalk link on the NEC printer is a hot setup.  Get one of the
PC-based AppleTalk adaptor boards (Daystar Digital here in Atlanta makes
a nice one) and enjoy the 230kb link speed.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)

JXY2@psuvm.psu.edu (Jie Yuan) (01/08/91)

In article <5682@rsiatl.Dixie.Com>, jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) says:

>If you only want to spend about a kilobuck, look at TI's new personal
>PostScript printer.  It is a neat little box that does PostScript and
>HP laserjet emulation, uses consumables, has a user-replaceable photosensitive
>drum, a serial and a parallel port.  One of my clients has one and I'm
>impressed enough with it to buy one myself.  Our local discounter, Soft
>Warehouse has 'em for a kilobuck even.  (404) 441 3300 if you can't find one
>that cheap locally.
>

>John

I called the  SoftWarehouse this morning, the $1000 printer does not
do PS.  It is only the MicroLaser printer.  Ths PS17 of TI microLaser
is $1529, which is still the cheapest I know of.

Jie Yuan                 204 Academic Activities Bldg.
jxy2@psuvm.bitnet        Pennsylvania State University
(814)863-4266 (Lab)      University Park, PA 16802

cs161fhn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (01/09/91)

In article <5682@rsiatl.Dixie.Com> jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) writes:
>If you only want to spend about a kilobuck, look at TI's new personal
>PostScript printer.  It is a neat little box that does PostScript and
>HP laserjet emulation, uses consumables, has a user-replaceable photosensitive
>drum, a serial and a parallel port.  One of my clients has one and I'm
>impressed enough with it to buy one myself.  Our local discounter, Soft
>Warehouse has 'em for a kilobuck even.  (404) 441 3300 if you can't find one
>that cheap locally.

Which SoftWarehouse?  Is it a closeout or clearance or refurb?

Today's SoftWarehouse ad (LA Times, 1/8/91) lists the TI PS17 at
$1349.96 and that's with only 17 fonts.

--
Dennis Lou               | "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"
dlou@ucsd.edu            | "Then I'd be crazy to think any other way!"

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (01/10/91)

In article <407@beagle.UUCP> chandler@beagle.UUCP (Jim Chandler) writes:

   In article <1991Jan3.201827.11119@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, terry@eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
   > We have about $2000 in our budget to get a PostScript printer.  We
   > would like one that will print normal text at about 6 - 8 ppm and
   > need an RS-232 interface on it.  Do any of you have printers that

   about $2000.  I would also seriously consider an HP LJ III with their new
   Adobe PS cartridge.  It is licensed by Adobe and is about $400.  You will spend
   a little more in the long run (about $2200 for printer, memory and cartridge).
   But you will be getting an HP LJ.

We're a couple of weeks away from buying a printer ourselves, and we're
leaning towards the LJ III. The LJII series (except the IIP) has no future.
The reason we'd spring for the LJ III instead of other competing
8 ppm printers would be the resolution enhancement. Also, as
Jim says, it's an HP, so there are many mfrs making add-ons
(memory cards, accelerator cards, fonts, etc, and also s/w support)

Regards,

/ Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (01/12/91)

JXY2@psuvm.psu.edu (Jie Yuan) writes:

>I called the  SoftWarehouse this morning, the $1000 printer does not
>do PS.  It is only the MicroLaser printer.  Ths PS17 of TI microLaser
>is $1529, which is still the cheapest I know of.

Now you've got me worried since I got a written quote from them last
weekend.  I hope they are not playing tricks.  I do know that you've
sometimes got to get kinda rough negotiating with them but they WILL
give a good price.  I'm headed back over tomorrow or Monday so I'll
see.

john