[comp.periphs.printers] Looking for postscript for HP Deskjet

neff@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (01/12/91)

>Does software or a cartridge exist that can turn the Deskjet into a
>postscript printer?  I'm familiar with ghostscript, but I do not have a C
>compiler so it is not an option for me.

Since the DeskJet is not a page printer, a postscript cartridge for the
DeskJet is not feasible.  There are software packages that convert PostScript
to DeskJet (and many other) printers.  These packages are generally slow,
expensive, ram hungry, and in some cases buggy.  If you have a fast PC,
at least 2 megs, and patience the software packages might do what you
need :-).  I don't know which packages are the "best", but Freedom of
the Press (Mac only I believe) and Go-Script (PS only I believe)
are some options.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (01/13/91)

In <980006@hp-vcd.HP.COM> neff@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Dave Neff) writes:

>>Does software or a cartridge exist that can turn the Deskjet into a
>>postscript printer?  I'm familiar with ghostscript, but I do not have a C
>>compiler so it is not an option for me.

>Since the DeskJet is not a page printer, a postscript cartridge for the
>DeskJet is not feasible.  There are software packages that convert PostScript
>to DeskJet (and many other) printers.  These packages are generally slow,
>expensive, ram hungry, and in some cases buggy.  If you have a fast PC,
>at least 2 megs, and patience the software packages might do what you
>need :-).  I don't know which packages are the "best", but Freedom of
>the Press (Mac only I believe) and Go-Script (PS only I believe)
>are some options.

Sure, the software's slow, but so's the printer!  Anybody who buys a
DJ instead of a laser printer is short on funds and long on patience,
so the speed of the software's not a big issue.

One good choice is probably GoScript Select, which is the HP-only
version of GoScript.  It's in my Programmer's Connection catalog at
$79.

The big problem here is to avoid tying up your working machine while
the software does its hours-long crunching.  One solution is to put
in a DesqView or Windows background partition at low priority.
Another is to take an old valueless PC and use it just to drive your
printer.
--

	ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
	netcom!ergo@apple.com			Silicon Valley, CA

		THIS STATEMENT IS VERIFIABLY, IRREFUTABLY TRUE!

gallo@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Gallo) (01/14/91)

Check out PreScript by Pan Overseas Computers,_11444
North Olympic Boulevard, Suite 1010, LA, CA 90064.
(213) 312-9562. This product is reviewed in the
January issue of MONITOR, the Journal of the
Capital PC User Group.

Chip Gallo__

chandler@beagle.UUCP (Jim Chandler) (01/18/91)

In article <009428C9.D881CD60@QMD.PHY.NIST.GOV>, msd@enh.nist.gov (M. Scott Dewey) writes:
> Does software or a cartridge exist that can turn the Deskjet into a
> postscript printer?

I bought UltraScript PC and it works great.  It is very speedy and I hardly
notice any difference from the straight printer driver under WordPerfect.
It has a TSR feature.  I am using it with a 80386/33 and 8 Megs so that helps
quite a bit.  I also have used it under Win 3.0 and CorelDraw with acceptable
performance.  CompuAdd has it for around $140 and if you buy the extended
version, then you get all 35 "standard" postscript fonts.  I would highly
recommend this combination.  Its not the fastest but it certainly is one of the
most affordable.

--
Jim Chandler
asuvax!xroads!beagle!chandler