[comp.periphs.printers] Laserjet - out of memory

jvl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (J. van Loenen) (01/31/91)

Hi!

I'm using a graphic program at home and print to disk using a laserjet-II
driver. The resulting dump file (one file a page) will be about 950k. The
file will probably hold an uncompressed image, 'cause ZOO will reduce it
by about 96%.
When I copy the file to the printer (a laserjet III with 1M internal memory),
the printer shows error 20 - out of memory, and ejects the paper. The image
is printed for about 70-80%.
As a pageprinter will build up a complete image of a page always, its internal
memory must be big enough. So I guess the commands in my dump file are too
complex.
It there a way around this problem other than installing more memory?
(eg. the LJ-III will accept compressed data. Does a program exist converting
a datafile into a compressed datafile?)

(Please respond by email).

Thanks in advance,
	Jan

# DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own  #
#                                                                             #
#  Jan van Loenen                         Internet   jvl@idca.tds.philips.nl  #
#  Philips Information Systems            UUCP       ....!mcvax!philapd!jvl   #

price@helios.unl.edu (Chad Price) (02/03/91)

jvl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (J. van Loenen) writes:

>Hi!

>I'm using a graphic program at home and print to disk using a laserjet-II
>driver. The resulting dump file (one file a page) will be about 950k. The
>file will probably hold an uncompressed image, 'cause ZOO will reduce it
>by about 96%.
>When I copy the file to the printer (a laserjet III with 1M internal memory),
>the printer shows error 20 - out of memory, and ejects the paper. The image
>is printed for about 70-80%.
>As a pageprinter will build up a complete image of a page always, its internal
>memory must be big enough. So I guess the commands in my dump file are too
>complex.
>It there a way around this problem other than installing more memory?
>(eg. the LJ-III will accept compressed data. Does a program exist converting
>a datafile into a compressed datafile?)

The laserjet does not make all of its installed memory available for
images. You will probably need to install more memory.

chad price
price@fergvax.unl.edu