[comp.periphs.printers] Typewriters as printers

v067qklp@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Danielle T Mazzotta) (02/18/91)

Hi..

Does anyone know of any makes of typewriters that can also be used as PC
printers?

If there's interest, I'll post a summary..

Thanks!

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (02/19/91)

In article <60346@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v067qklp@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Danielle T Mazzotta) writes:
> Hi..
>
> Does anyone know of any makes of typewriters that can also be used as PC
> printers?
>
> If there's interest, I'll post a summary..
>
> Thanks!

    Well, IBM does. I don't remember the model, but I can dig it
    up if you like. Also Canon has such typewriters.

    Teemu.

--
                             _________
	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi

chiu@brahms.amd.com (Timothy Chiu) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb18.191932.4927@cc.helsinki.fi>, tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi
writes:
> In article <60346@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v067qklp@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Danielle T Mazzotta) writes:
> > Does anyone know of any makes of typewriters that can also be used as PC
> > printers?
>
>     Well, IBM does. I don't remember the model, but I can dig it
>     up if you like. Also Canon has such typewriters.

IBM used to make one called the Actionwriter.  They no longer make
it and parts for it are expensive.  It is identical to a
Royal 610, 710, and 800 series typewriters.  (Royal made them
for IBM, which rebadged them).  I own a Royal 610, and had
to get a replacement logic board once.  IBM quoted $595, Royal
sold me one for $135 (still expensive when you consider that
typewriters go for $100 nowadays).

The reason the logic board needed to be replaced was because
the printer function (an add-on board) blew out the logic board.
They were never very sophisticated and didn't seem particularly
well designed.

Brother and Juki typewriters were also available with optional
computer hookup at one time.  Sears carried a version of the
Brother called the "Electronic Graduate."  (Note:  Sears has since
used this name on another typewriter that no longer supports
computer hookup.)

In general, any company that once made these no longer carries
the product.  My guess is that nobody was able to make one
that could deal with the wear and tear of being hooked up
to computer as well as being a typewriter.  Also there wasn't
really too much demand for it.

If you really must get one, try some of the mail-order liquadation
houses, which have all the models that aren't being carried anymore.
There's a company in Illinois that used to have the Juki typewriter
available for about $180.00.  I can't remember the company right
now, but they advertise in every issue of Computer Shopper, near
the back on yellow pages with black print.  If you're truly
interested, I'll look them up in my issue of Computer Shopper at
home.

Timothy Chiu
chiu@brahms.amd.com--

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (02/21/91)

In article <60346@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v067qklp@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Danielle T Mazzotta) writes:

> Does anyone know of any makes of typewriters that can also be used as PC
> printers?

   Don't hold me to it but vaguely remember seeing some Brother units at
a computer store (fairly large one) not too many months ago.