[comp.periphs.printers] HP2235 RuggedWriter Experience?

billp@hplsla.HP.COM (Bill Pritchard) (02/16/91)

Has anyone had experience with the HP2235 "RuggedWriter"?  A friend wants
to have a fast and good looking way to print large Excel spreadsheets onto
15" computer paper.  Their Epson 2500 can take several minutes to print and
a LaserWriter's paper is too small.  To get speed they won't compromise on
the quality of the final copy.

                          Thanks,

                              Bill

Bill Pritchard                           Internet: billp@hplsla.lsid.HP.COM
Hewlett Packard Company                                 Phone: 206-335-2567
Lake Stevens Instrument Division                          FAX: 206-335-2828

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (02/19/91)

In article <8240002@hplsla.HP.COM> billp@hplsla.HP.COM (Bill Pritchard) writes:
>Has anyone had experience with the HP2235 "RuggedWriter"?

I wasn't incredibly impressed with the RuggedWriter. When it came out,
it was one of the first printers to allow you to print from a cut-sheet
feeder without removing your pin-feed paper from the tractors. However,
much that's on the market now will match its features at a better price.

The RuggedWriter's fonts are good, as is its Epson emulation. You cannot
switch emulations (or switch from sheet-fed to tractors) from software.
The three-light readout makes error determination somewhat of an
expedition, and its odd paper path caused frequent paper jams. Its
attachments ande consumables are compatible with anything else.

However, it *is* damn fast for a dot printer - in draft mode.

>A friend wants
>to have a fast and good looking way to print large Excel spreadsheets onto
>15" computer paper.  Their Epson 2500 can take several minutes to print and
>a LaserWriter's paper is too small.  To get speed they won't compromise on
>the quality of the final copy.

Any laser worth its toner can print landscape on legal paper (14" wide),
and since the resolution is so much better than dot printers, you can
get away with smaller type (or narrower pitch) while still keeping
things quite readable.

I personally can't see the RuggedWriter being better value than, say a
IIP-class laser. They're about the same price, I believe.

--
 Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
       evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

crampton@hpldsla.sid.hp.com (David Crampton) (02/22/91)

Analytical Products Group has had much customer dissatisfaction
with 'not-so-RuggedWriter' having early failures (can't be more
specific) in printing high volume graphics. Response from mfg
division was also unimpressive.