[comp.periphs.printers] The new HP DeskJet 500 and Ink == Comments ==

srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) (10/08/90)

I'm thinking about buying the new DeskJet with the new ink.  I just
wanted to get some reviews from anyone using it now.  My main concern
is the ink.  Is it as great as HP makes it out to be.  Thanx in
advance.

srm
--

				Scott R. Myers

Snail:	26 Stiles Street			Phone:(201)352-4162
        Apartment 18
	Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Arpa:	srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu			Uucp: ..!dimacs!srm

		"... No matter where you go, there you are ..."

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (10/08/90)

> I'm thinking about buying the new DeskJet with the new ink.  I just
> wanted to get some reviews from anyone using it now.  My main concern
> is the ink.  Is it as great as HP makes it out to be.  Thanx in
> advance.

The ink really is that good.  With the old ink, you could spill [insert
beverage name here] on the page and lose everything.  With the new ink,
you can spill [beverage again] on the page and it's still readable.

Not worth including in a report to your boss, mind you, but good enough
to retype if you forgot to save to a disk file.

(That always makes me wonder:  when you spill [beverage] on a laser
printout, it still ruins the paper, right?  I mean, you have to print
another copy, because you're not going to insert a wrinkled, stained
page into your report, right?  Just wondering...)

I repeat, the ink really is that good.  But then, look who I work for.

Regards
Ray Depew
HP Colorado IC Division
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Phillips) (02/21/91)

In article <Oct.7.13.36.32.1990.7426@dimacs.rutgers.edu>, srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu
(Scott R. Myers) says:

>I'm thinking about buying the new DeskJet with the new ink.  I just
>wanted to get some reviews from anyone using it now.  My main concern
>is the ink.  Is it as great as HP makes it out to be.  Thanx in
>advance.

I don't know if it's as great as HP says, but it does do a good job.  Much
blacker than the original ink.  And it stays on the paper.  Even washing with
tap water won't wash it off (although some of it washes away).

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (02/25/91)

In article <91051.131938PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu>, PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Phillips) writes:
> In article <Oct.7.13.36.32.1990.7426@dimacs.rutgers.edu>, srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu
> (Scott R. Myers) says:
> >
> >I'm thinking about buying the new DeskJet with the new ink.  I just
> >wanted to get some reviews from anyone using it now.  My main concern
> >is the ink.  Is it as great as HP makes it out to be.  Thanx in
> >advance.

   Yes, the new ink generally works as advertised, with one caveat:  if your
   output includes large areas of solid black, the paper will - as best as I
   can describe it - "warp" a bit, because of all the moisture being deposited
   on it.  And sometimes the following page will have a few black smudges/traces
   on it.  But overall, I use both LaserJets and a DeskJet and I think that the
   latter compares very nicely with the former, given the price difference.

   Also: I believe that the "new" ink is now also standard issue for older
         DeskJets as well.

   pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org

PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Phillips) (02/26/91)

In article <6082@oasys.dt.navy.mil>, gallo@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Gallo) says:

>The_new ink works fine in my DeskJet Plus. Now I'm wondering if I
>need the $175 upgrade to make the Plus into a 500.

The 500 has built-in fonts, landscape font, is faster, and has more fonts
available.  I think it is well worth the expense to upgrade from the DeskJet.
I've never used the Plus so I can't judge that.