[comp.periphs.printers] Apple Imagewriter I printer

NU129584@NDSUVM1.BITNET (02/22/91)

Is there anyway to make Apple Imagewriter I printer as an IBM PC

compatible printer? I know that this printer is certainly out of

date (it has been replaced by Imagewriter II sometime  after

1986).

Morgan K. Lee

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/26/91)

In article <91052.230136NU129584@NDSUVM1.BITNET> NU129584@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
> Is there anyway to make Apple Imagewriter I printer as an IBM PC
> compatible printer? I know that this printer is certainly out of
> date (it has been replaced by Imagewriter II sometime after 1986).

Imagewrite I wide carriage models continued to sell for quite some
time.  The Imagewriter I and II are more or less standard serial printers.
Connect it to Com 1 or Com 2, set the port for 9600 baud, and you
should be off and running.  Check your manual for the right dip switch
settings to get the printer talking at 9600 baud.  You will run into
a few problems with the character set.  The Imamgewriter supports 7 bit
ASCII, while the PC uses an 8 bit extended ASCII character set.  You
will not get the line graphics symbols on the Imagewriter I.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john