[comp.periphs.printers] TI microLaser XL

leemc@csri.toronto.edu (Matthew Lee) (02/27/91)

I would be interested in hearing from anyone using the Texas Instruments
microLaser XL with postscript option. The price per speed/duty cycle
looks good but I'm wondering if it is as solid a performer as it is rated.
Also, if the 500 sheet feeder bin is being used, does it work well or is it
prone to jamming?

Thanks
Matt Lee
University of Toronto

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (02/27/91)

leemc@csri.toronto.edu (Matthew Lee) writes:

>I would be interested in hearing from anyone using the Texas Instruments
>microLaser XL with postscript option. The price per speed/duty cycle
>looks good but I'm wondering if it is as solid a performer as it is rated.
>Also, if the 500 sheet feeder bin is being used, does it work well or is it
>prone to jamming?

We bought one here a few weeks ago.  In a word, I love it!  Both the HP
and the PostScript modes have worked as advertised, with no problems
printing postscript files from the net, postscript output from
Pagemaker or Ventura and no problem handling HP output from WordStar or
Microsoft Word.  We have the spooler on this system configured to
use the "TiNet" feature to change the mode dynamically based on the
logical destination of the print job.

The CPU board is one small card that plugs in a slot in the rear.  It has
expansion ports for more memory and the applechat/rs-232 adaptor.

Probably the best part of this printer is that the toner, the developer and
the photodrum are all individually replaceable modules.  Bulk toner
can be added without effort.

My only real gripe is that the paper cassette does not handle my heavy
letterhead.  My old HP handled it fine.  As a practical matter, this is
no problem, as the front single sheet slot is easy to use for the
small amount of letterhead printing I do.

Since this printer can be gotten for as little as $1500, I consider it
the best bang for the buck on the market.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)