[comp.periphs.printers] Fast Parallel printing

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (02/27/91)

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) writes:

>  In this vein, does anyone know of any smart port cards, or DMA driven
>parallel cards for the ISA bus that will offload the main processor of
>this task. Seems like a waste to use 386 and 486 processors for this
>kind of junk.

We have a product under development that is even better, IMHO :-)  We
call it the Printer Nidget (TM)  (Network Widget).  This is an
inexpensive little modem-sized device that sits on a TCP/IP ethernet and
can drive up to 2 printers with either parallel or serial ports.

Though the device was not originally conceived as a high speed printer
driver but rather as an inexpensive way to spread printers about
a network, it should do the job quite well.  Not being limited by
the PC bus architecture, its performance should be rather good.
I happen to be working on the high speed parallel port driver right now :-)

This architecture really makes a lot of sense for driving even moderate
speed printers.  Rather having to deal with a port a byte at a time,
the host simply puts the data in an IP packet and lets the intelligence
of the ethernet adaptor handle shoveling out the bits.

For more info, send your snail-mail address to me and I'll pop out
some propaganda :-)

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)