[comp.periphs.printers] Gray Scale Graphics For HP IIP

bal@drutx.ATT.COM (LesebergB) (03/10/91)

Has anyone developed anything for the HP IIP so it can do
true gray scale graphics (whether 16, 64, or 256 scale) without
dithering ?  I thought the HP Series II had such a product, but
haven't seen one for the IIP.  I've seen some Postscript cartridges,
but don't believe they have any gray scale capabilities, but then
I'm new to this desktop publishing stuff.  Thanks !
--
Brad Leseberg  | AT&T Bell Labs | !att!drutx!bal
(303) 538-4964 | Denver, CO     | bal@drutx.att.com

andrewsh@lonex.radc.af.mil (Harold G. Andrews II) (03/11/91)

In article <7784@drutx.ATT.COM> bal@drutx.ATT.COM (LesebergB) writes:
>Has anyone developed anything for the HP IIP so it can do
>true gray scale graphics (whether 16, 64, or 256 scale) without
>dithering ?  I thought the HP Series II had such a product, but
>haven't seen one for the IIP.  I've seen some Postscript cartridges,
>but don't believe they have any gray scale capabilities, but then
>I'm new to this desktop publishing stuff.  Thanks !
>--
>Brad Leseberg  | AT&T Bell Labs | !att!drutx!bal
>(303) 538-4964 | Denver, CO     | bal@drutx.att.com

     I could be wrong (and I expect y'all out there will let me know if I
am) but, as far as I know, laser printers are incapable of gray scale images
for much the same reason that photo-copiers are incapable of reproducing
gray scale images.  There is no way to control the color of the toner deposited
onto the page.  It is either there or it isn't.  There is no middle ground.
There may be some new techniques out there with which I am unfamiliar.  All
of the HP laser jets, though, are not capable of a partial deposit of toner
onto the page.

     Have a good day...

-Andy

* Harold G. "Andy" Andrews II, 1Lt, USAF  *  "Many the man whose punctuality  *
* andrewsh@lonex.radc.af.mil              *   serves only to warm his chair." *
* Rome Laboratory/IRRE                    *                                   *
* Griffiss AFB, NY 13441-5700             *   - M. Kabrisky                   *
* (315) 330-7788  (AVN Prfx 587)          * (Not an official  USAF viewpoint) *

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (03/12/91)

In <1991Mar11.144450.18991@lonex.radc.af.mil> andrewsh@lonex.radc.af.mil (Harold G. Andrews II) writes:

>In article <7784@drutx.ATT.COM> bal@drutx.ATT.COM (LesebergB) writes:
>>Has anyone developed anything for the HP IIP so it can do
>>true gray scale graphics (whether 16, 64, or 256 scale) without
>>dithering ?  I thought the HP Series II had such a product, but
>>haven't seen one for the IIP.  I've seen some Postscript cartridges,
>>but don't believe they have any gray scale capabilities, but then
>>I'm new to this desktop publishing stuff.  Thanks !
>>--

>     I could be wrong (and I expect y'all out there will let me know if I
>am) but, as far as I know, laser printers are incapable of gray scale images
>for much the same reason that photo-copiers are incapable of reproducing
>gray scale images.  There is no way to control the color of the toner deposited
>onto the page.  It is either there or it isn't.  There is no middle ground.
>There may be some new techniques out there with which I am unfamiliar.  All
>of the HP laser jets, though, are not capable of a partial deposit of toner
>onto the page.

Well, I hate to argue with anyone, however as I type this I am looking at
a printout of a digitized photograph of a cat that I printed on a HP IIP
from a program called Paintworks Gold on the Apple II GS, and it has
16 gray scales in it. The laser driver used for this was Harmonie from
Vitesse, and it allows you to choose from 1 to 16 gray scales before
you print.. So if it is done in software or hardware, I do not know, but
if the bottom line is the finished result, then yes it can be done..

--
   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu |                         | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

andrewsh@lonex.radc.af.mil (Harold G. Andrews II) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar12.021020.18894@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
>In <1991Mar11.144450.18991@lonex.radc.af.mil> andrewsh@lonex.radc.af.mil (Harold G. Andrews II) writes:
>
>>In article <7784@drutx.ATT.COM> bal@drutx.ATT.COM (LesebergB) writes:
>>> [Looking for ways to do grayscale on an HP IIP]
>
>>[My response.  Gray scale not possible.]
>
>Well, I hate to argue with anyone, however as I type this I am looking at
>a printout of a digitized photograph of a cat that I printed on a HP IIP
>from a program called Paintworks Gold on the Apple II GS, and it has
>16 gray scales in it. The laser driver used for this was Harmonie from
>Vitesse, and it allows you to choose from 1 to 16 gray scales before
>you print.. So if it is done in software or hardware, I do not know, but
>if the bottom line is the finished result, then yes it can be done..
>
>--
>   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu |                         | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

Well, I hate to argue with you, but what you have in front of you is not
gray scale.  You have something using halftones.  There is a difference.
Using halftones, you could get something to look roughly like a newspaper
image.  Laser printers cannot vary the amount of toner deposited at a point
on the page.  What they can do is create the illusion of different shades
of gray by varying different properties of the dot spacing and overlaying
different "screens" on the image.  The software may ask for the number
of grayscales, but all it does is produce a bitmaped overlay to create the
illusion of grayscale.

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar12.021020.18894@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:

> Well, I hate to argue with anyone, however as I type this I am looking at
> a printout of a digitized photograph of a cat that I printed on a HP IIP
> ...and it has > 16 gray scales in it....

  Unfortunately, those are not "gray scales".  As the previous poster
  stated,  the HPs generate single tone dots, period.

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
  pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org